G6 or S80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gballard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:confused: I'm thinking of getting one or the other. Any comments would be great. I know that the S80 can't do raw. Is that really the most important difference between the two?

Thanks, GBallard

Hi there,
if no RAW go for the G6. I have a G5 and I am pretty happy though shutter lag is not so quick. I guess is a problem of many digital which are not so new model anymore.

Sure other photographer will advice you better...

Ciao
San

I would go for the S80 personally for a variety of reasons.
  • The S80 is more widely supported by housing manufacturers (Ikelite and Canon)
  • S80 has the new DIGIC II processor which leads to better battery life, quicker performance, less shutter lag and generally snappier operation
  • S80 lens is 28mm which is fairly wide for a compact camera, also third party lenses such as wide angle or macro lenses are easily available
  • Fairly certain that the S80 would cost you less in terms of housing and camera.
  • Also, not sure how important this to you, but the S80 package would be a lot less bulkier than the G6
  • In terms of image quality I think both are comparable, the S80 has the newest G series lens, don't recall reading much about barrel distortion, much chromatic aberration or weird problems with this camera.

Anyway have a look at the Dpreview side by side comparison here
And also a quick search in this forum will reveal a variety of threads by a particularly talented S80 owner ED_Dman..

Here are some links to it.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=123517
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=126905
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=134521
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=136692

And the search that revealed these threads.

In the final analysis both are worthy cameras, but I would go with the S80.

Both cameras are great, but both use proprietary batteries with all the attendant problems. In my book, you can't beat using AA's like the Canon A-series uses.
Other people love and swear by the proprietary rechargeables, but a whole lot of people who have them swear at them.

Tom Winters:
Both cameras are great, but both use proprietary batteries with all the attendant problems. In my book, you can't beat using AA's like the Canon A-series uses.
Other people love and swear by the proprietary rechargeables, but a whole lot of people who have them swear at them.

True that is a concern, but if you're in the states getting those batteries shouldn't be a difficult thing to do.

Jamdiver:
True that is a concern, but if you're in the states getting those batteries shouldn't be a difficult thing to do.
Agreed. I really think those who complain are either trying to go to remote locations where they can't charge, or are using cheapie off-brand batteries, or simply have only the one battery that came with the camera.

Buy two real, OEM batteries, and rotate them in. Done for the life of the camera. No need to buy buckets of AAs or deal with multiple rechargable battery chargers. Most boats here in the states have juice for charging, so no problem.

I can think of VERY few situations where, you have a spare battery pack or two, AAs would be preferable to a good litium battery pack. And none of those apply to the diving I do, so I'd rather have the proprietary packs, even if it's a shade more expensive. Convenience is worth something to me, especially when it accompanies a higher-end camera!

It depends if you intend to use a separate strobe. The G6 in an Ikelite housing will give you a strobe cord. The problem is that the housing is expensive and the G6 is already on its way out. I'd probably recommend the Olympus SP-350 because it has a newer sensor and takes AA batteries.

If you don't plan on a strobe, the S80 is the better choice. It's much master than the G6. The 28mm lens is also nice, and you can use the Inon optics too.

If you don't plan on a strobe, the S80 is the better choice.

What about using the Inon D2000 with the S80? If I've read the materials correctly, it is supposed to work quite nicely with the S80.

Peter Guy:
What about using the Inon D2000 with the S80? If I've read the materials correctly, it is supposed to work quite nicely with the S80.
That's currently my first choice for my S80. Hope to get one in the next couple of months, maybe sooner.

Back
Top Bottom