What the heck did I buy? S80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

estresao

Contributor
Reaction score
I've just bought couple of second hand... S80?

The point is that I'm trying to undertand the shoulder marking and it doesn't seems similar to something sold here in Europe.

The guys who sold them to me told me they are Luxfer.... but I don't think they are.

The shoulder have only the following line:

811301095 TP300BAR WP200BAR W14.7 V11 6S12.2 2018.12 ISO7866 CN

So some one knows what the heck did I buy?

I'll attach some pictures (there is also a steel one, which it's OK).Thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG-20230311-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20230311-WA0002.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG-20230308-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20230308-WA0005.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG-20230308-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230308-WA0006.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG-20230311-WA0014.jpeg
    IMG-20230311-WA0014.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 75
So I guess they are something but Luxfer. Shouldn't they have a CE code for European market? (providing they didn't were bought in some Chiness online market)

So I guess they are something but Luxfer. Shouldn't they have a CE code for European market? (providing they didn't were bought in some Chiness online market)
I would guess imported via China and never tested in Europe

ISO 7866 is the international standard (vs DOT 3AL for the US), the CE is to comply with European regulations so it is legal for commerce in the EU. the tank may be perfectly fine assuming the hydro/vis checks out, it just lacks the testing and documentation from the manufacturer to be able to use it in a commercial capacity in the EU.

same situation as using a non-DOT tank in the US.

ISO 7866 is the international standard (vs DOT 3AL for the US), the CE is to comply with European regulations so it is legal for commerce in the EU. the tank may be perfectly fine assuming the hydro/vis checks out, it just lacks the testing and documentation from the manufacturer to be able to use it in a commercial capacity in the EU.

same situation as using a non-DOT tank in the US.
Personally I don't just default trust that Chinese manufacturers stamping something "ISO 7866" is actually made to that standard. They started china export "C E" specifically to muddy the waters with Conformite Europeenne "CE".

To me, these cylinders are just not worth using.

Reactions: Zef
China Export is an urban myth, fraudulent CE marking is a concern but a bad tank not meeting spec would fail hydro. not worth buying, but arguably less risky with a valid hydro than an old 6351 tank

Your 2008 citation is long since out of date "china export" absolutely exists and was intentionally created in a smoke and mirrors effort to confuse the market. "C E" is not an official mark or designation by the Chinese government but they look the other way since it is unclear if it means anything and works in their favor to obscure real tested products from whatever some fly by night manufacture in Shenzen is selling.

You can of course find plenty of (Chinese sources) claiming that the letters being ever so slightly different is actually just a printing error. They are done that way intentionally. In that part of the world, anyone with a metal punch can slap "ISO 7866" onto their AL80s with no repercussions at all. It's not like they have any consumer protection agency domestically and certainly not internationally.

Get them hydroed and they are probably fine since they are almost for sure copy the wall thickness and basic 6000s series aluminum alloy of a Luxfer etc. But trusting the markings to be legitimate is questionable.

you might as well start taking ivermectin if you believe everything posted on the internet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom