Gadgets vs essential equipment, when is it just excessive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With my setup I don't have pockets, so any gear has to be attached. I worry adding extra cords and retractable leashes could lead to problems, especially if an issue does arise and things get tangled. . . . Is this a valid concern, or am I being overly paranoid?
No, you are not being paranoid. Frankly, I applaud you for thinking about the issue now, so you can avoid swimming down the path toward dangleland.

You are diving a rig - X-Tek Form harness (with what looks like the HS wing) - that (unfortunately) offers too much opportunity to do just that - it has those 4 big, fat D-rings sitting there, which are calling out to be put into service but can't be used optimally because their location is proscribed by the unnecessary quick releases that Scubapro decided to sew into both shoulder straps. :) (SP then fosters the potential for D-ring addiction by putting cute little 1 inch D-rings on both sides of the X-Tek Form harness.) You already have 1 item on a retractor (your cross-clipped computer), which some might say is already 1 too many. The X-Tek Form harness doesn't really allow for pockets, nor are the 4 D-rings in a particularly useful position to allow you to properly clip a flashlight-style light to your harness (butt-clipped to a D-ring with a bolt snap, head held down with bungee cord, surgical tubing or inner tube pieces). What too often happens in a case like that is the diver gets a big pistol-grip light and clips it to one of those D-rings, where it dangles.

A few thoughts for the future:

1. Look for a way to put pockets on your exposure suit, or get a pair of pocket shorts.
2. Consider a (much) shorter high pressure hose that will allow the computer to be clipped to the upper left-side D-ring, where you can see it without using a retractor, and without unclipping it.
3. Think about an alternative hose configuration. Make your (longer) yellow hose your primary second stage hose, and route it under your right arm, up to your mouth. It becomes the 2nd stage you donate in an OOA situation. Put the alternate second stage on a short hose, and position it right under your chin on a bungee necklace. There are a number of threads on SB that relate to this approach, including a current discussion of hose lengths (Omni Swivel)
(4. Find someone to swap your rig with. The X-Tek Pure harness, with a smaller (30lb) donut wing, would be a much better choice for you as a single cylinder diver.)

Last edited:
If you're diving recreationally and have good control over air consumption, is there really a need for an extra computer, etc.?

Like some others have said, you might consider cleaning up by going with a single piece harness and fewer D-rings, and a (much) smaller wing; my girlfriend has a ScubaPro wing with a 13L (30 lb) wing thats still never ever full for the warm water/Al80 single tank diving we do, and my 15L (33lb) wing is already overkill. I have a clipped cable (no spring retraction) for my camera rig (so I can hang it there and have my hands free if need be) as loss prevention, the DSMB attached to my backplate (right side, bungee) so it doesn't flap around or dangle, and will move my backup second stage to a necklace bungee because I'm finding attachment to the shoulder D-rings is kind of annoying. Or I might go long hose, but that would make most sense if my dive buddy (= girlfriend) makes the switch as well. Otherwise I think both diving the same, familiar hose setup works a doddle. I've also got slightly shorter braided hoses on my primary second stage (PADI setup, not long hose, so shorter loop) and suitable length braided hose on the inflator, which streamlines the rig quite a bit.

Unless you are diving at night, no real need for a large light.

I have to disagree with this. A small light will provide all the light you need at night(I can follow a line during a lights-out drill by the glow of my Liquivision X1). Brighter conditions or murky water are where you need more light in order to attract attention from your buddy.

A couple of comments prompt questions - not trying to de-rail the thread, just making sure the points being made are clear to all (the OP, certainly, but also me :)).
I've also got slightly shorter braided hoses on my primary second stage (PADI setup, not long hose, so shorter loop) and suitable length braided hose on the inflator, which streamlines the rig quite a bit.
1. Can you clarify the hose lengths / placement in this set-up. 2. And, when you refer to it as a 'PADI setup', what do you mean? Learned in a Padi course? Common for PADI shops / divers in your area? Just curious.
rongoodman:
A small light will provide all the light you need at night(I can follow a line during a lights-out drill by the glow of my Liquivision X1). Brighter conditions or murky water are where you need more light in order to attract attention from your buddy.
Not to agree or disagree with either you or herman but, when people refer to a 'large' light and a 'small' light, what are the criteria that define those size terms?

I just returned from Belize where I spent the week using a 2-cell Halcyon back-up light at night. OTOH, the 21W primary, which I brought along for the Blue Hole dive, would have been invisible during the day on the shallower dives.

The reason for my setup and the 60 lb bladder is I'm a bargin hunter that whole setup cost me under $200 new. I got the bladder for 60, the harness for 25 and the plate and tank holder for 110. I got everything from ocean enterprise tent sale a few years back. If I get a new bladder it doubles the price and even though it's overkill I don't see it being dangerous as I do not dive with any air in it.

Why so much lift? Unless you are diving some huge tank or doubles there is rarely a need for that much lift. 30ish lbs is usually way more than a single tank diver needs. Unless you are diving at night, no real need for a large light.

A good example of how regional differences impact how one looks at dive gear. Where I dive, a light is necessary equipment on pretty much every dive. Yesterday, for example, I went diving several hours before dusk. Both myself and my dive buddy carried powerful lights. Upon descent, down to about 30 feet, we passed through a dense layer of plankton ... even at touching distances we could not see each other for the first several feet, but we could see each other's lights glowing through the plankton layer. At 30 feet, it was dark as a night dive ... despite the fact that the sun was high in the sky, ambient light could not make it through the plankton layer above us.

Everyone uses a large light here ... it's typically one of the first things you purchase after you've got your basic setup ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No, you are not being paranoid. Frankly, I applaud you for thinking about the issue now, so you can avoid swimming down the path toward dangleland.

You are diving a rig - X-Tek Form harness (with what looks like the HS wing) - that (unfortunately) offers too much opportunity to do just that - it has those 4 big, fat D-rings sitting there, which are calling out to be put into service but can't be used optimally because their location is proscribed by the unnecessary quick releases that Scubapro decided to sew into both shoulder straps. :) (SP then fosters the potential for D-ring addiction by putting cute little 1 inch D-rings on both sides of the X-Tek Form harness.) You already have 1 item on a retractor (your cross-clipped computer), which some might say is already 1 too many. The X-Tek Form harness doesn't really allow for pockets, nor are the 4 D-rings in a particularly useful position to allow you to properly clip a flashlight-style light to your harness (butt-clipped to a D-ring with a bolt snap, head held down with bungee cord, surgical tubing or inner tube pieces). What too often happens in a case like that is the diver gets a big pistol-grip light and clips it to one of those D-rings, where it dangles.

Been there, done that, quickly learned to hate it! Got some pockets and things feel much cleaner and smoother in the water.

The reason for my setup and the 60 lb bladder is I'm a bargin hunter that whole setup cost me under $200 new.
Fair enough. You are not alone, and there are more than a few new(er) divers who go down that path. I would suggest a slightly different description of the purchase - you really did not get 'a bargain'. What you did get was a very low price. There is probably a reason that rig was marked down to such a price and put out in a 'tent sale'.

And, I agree - in regard to the wing - it isn't dangerous. It may make achieving good buoyancy control a bit more challenging, and it will certainly produce a small element of drag (if you have a chance, see if you can get someone to video you underwater - you may be impressed by what the sides of that 60 lb wing look like with a single cylinder).

To augment my earlier comment # 4: You may not be fortunate enough to find someone who has a X-Tek Pure Form harness who wants to swap. But, if you just happen by accident to find someone who will buy your rig for what you paid (or close), you should seriously consider that option. :)

Last edited:
The reason for my setup and the 60 lb bladder is I'm a bargin hunter that whole setup cost me under $200 new. I got the bladder for 60, the harness for 25 and the plate and tank holder for 110. I got everything from ocean enterprise tent sale a few years back. If I get a new bladder it doubles the price and even though it's overkill I don't see it being dangerous as I do not dive with any air in it.

But you asked if your gear was excessive. The answer, in the case of your wing, is yes. When I was into diving back-mounted doubles I had a 60-lb wing. It was sufficient to support twin steel 119's as well as multiple deco/stage bottles. The wing will work for single-tank diving (although it's not optimal and takes some extra effort to maintain proper buoyancy and trim), but it certainly falls in the category of "excessive" for your needs. What you really got is a good deal on an excessively large wing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom