Galapagos Scuba Diving Fatality - February 12, 2010 - Eloise Gale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Following what InTheDrink wrote regarding personal responsibility and better briefings (sorry, not comp lit enough to use the "quote" thingy!): I totally agree.

When I dive I dive solo, even when I am with a buddy. On every dive I am responsible for myself, it is for me to decide if I can do the dive safely. If I am not sure about something I ask - always. I look like an idiot at times but rather that that have an unsafe or unenjoyable dive.

I have a disability that means that my hand signals are slightly different to the 'norm'. I always show my buddy what the problem is and the DM during the briefing. I don't do giant stride entries (can but won't) for the same reason and also am a shortie, so I check with the DM & prior to the dive, whether they want me to enter the water first, last, etc.

I guess my view is that, sadly, accidents happen. Sometimes they are not avoidable, sometimes they are. All we can do is be the best we can be within our limitations. And if you don't feel a dive briefing is comprehensive enough, ask questions, ask some more and if you don't like the answers DON'T DIVE!

Thankfully for me there is lots of current free, warm water diving to do on this rather fascinating planet of ours as I won't be doing the Galapagos. OOOOH, muck diving!!! (Yep, I am a wimpy diver!)

Thanks for correcting me - like I said, I'm not quite on the ball today.

But if we're looking for lessons to be learned I don't think team diving is a realistic application. I've no doubt that it would be great, I just don't see it happening.

Which brings us full circle - what could be easily and quickly done to reduce risk in these areas. I've mentioned two things:
1. Personal responsibility
2. More thorough briefings

J
All personal responsibility means is that there's no one else to blame, it does not to prevent the incident in the first place.

More through briefings may have a small effect, but, after all, it is just talk,
I'm kind of astonished by your post. Is this really you?

While technique and experience might be an aspect I really don't think GUE/DIR/UTD etc. would be the appropriate answer or response to this accident, nevermind that it definitely be adopted as a response.

We can all knock ourselves out without theoretical solutions, but if they are not going to exist in the real world then it remains just that: theoretical.
They are not theoretical. There are lots of divers who live in that sort of world, in the science community, the cave community, the wreck community, etc.
Not all divers in these locations are going to be GUE etc whatever. And good, a lot of those divers are working through their anal retentive issues, so much the better, I wish them well.
Different people find a structured diving approach of benefit for different reasons just as solo divers range from, gee ... only one person can fit through the hole, to the most adolescently irresponsible fantasies.
The girl that died may have simply been unlucky. GUE might have saved her but its not a practical solution nor lesson to be learned here.
GUE, or UTD or being part of a science team would, in point of fact, probably have saved her, but at a bare minimum we'd at least know where, when and how she died.
Focussing on being a good diver and knowing your limits would be the obvious place to start. These do not require GUE/UTD training and lord forbid they ever do (despite my growing adherence to some of the practicses of said groups).
People often do not know their limits until they are faced by that which they can not do. Being able to buddy-brain at such a time is a good thing.
DIR is not an realistic answer to the problem.

J
Team diving, of one sort or another is a very realistic answer to the problem. Insta-buddy diving sure doesn't cut it and I really don't think that solo diving is the answer either.
One thing that the dive op could do is conduct a closely supervised check-out dive (more than just a weight-check dive) before agreeing to let the customer dive on the liveaboard. An instructional component on diving in strong currents, consisting of tips/techniques/important considerations (remaining with buddy), could also be included. I'm not sure how easily something like this could be implemented, though.
This is basically what happens in the science community. Dr. X wants to go on a diving cruise on my institution's boat. His Diving Safety Officer and I correspond, I detail the operations that are planned, his DSO evaluates Dr. X's capability to handle it. Then Dr. X and I would meet somewhere (likely his institution or mine, but possibly a conference that we are both attending) and we'd talk, do a check out dive, etc. Then, and only then, I will bring all the information to my Diving Control Board and a decision to permit or deny Dr. X's request is made.

I wanted to toss in a few things about diving in the Galapagos. As has been reiterated, Galapagos live-aboards are for experienced divers. You fill out an application that says you are advanced. Vetting is limited to a profile on paper. There's no other way around this. A live-aboard check dive here is not really even a dive so much as dropping in the water to figure out your weight. That is less true on land-based dives where you usually drop in the water for a couple of minutes and then head to your first dive with the same tank, so DMs are usually paying more attention to what a diver is like than on a live-aboard, especially since less experienced divers are permitted on the daily dives. No minimum level required for N. Seymour, btw.

Struggling with weighting...First, it's really common for divers to need to overweight and drop weights as the days progress. Not only are you in a 7mm (and not everyone is used to a 7mm), but the salinity of the water is 6% higher than almost anywhere else anyone dives . Add to that an empty aluminum tank at the end of the dive and it often adds up to bobbing like an apple, therefore many end up over-weighted until they feel more comfortable.

N. Seymour is a site most of us consider 'easy'. It's usually Day 1 for our tours. I was surprised by the depth on the computer profile as you don't normally drop below 85' there, if that. Though I haven't dived that site since November, the water is now much warmer (yes, El Nino is here) and so perhaps the depth was due to marine life going deeper to cool water.

Dive Guides definitely need to guide in the Galapagos. They know the sites, they know the currents and that is their job...to guide. Most do turn around regularly to make sure a group is together, however, there is a hard and fast rule that if you are separated, look around for one minute and then surface. This is covered in the briefings. Briefings do tend to be rather thorough, HOWEVER, not patronizing. You are treated like an experienced diver who knows how to be responsible for yourself. The divers who don't follow briefing plans are, ironically, usually the most experienced ones...and of course, photographers. :wink:

Scattered groups in certain locations could be a nightmare, if nothing else for the pangas to pick up at spots especially where the currents split. The two accidental deaths in the last few months were both divers who were separated from the group, though in one case, the group lost both buddies and then one buddy lost the other. Bringing up the rear is something we always do on our tours, but on live-aboards, space is extremely limited, so the ratio is always 2 dive guides / 1 per 8 divers or less if the boat isn't full or in the case of the Aggressors which only carry 14 divers, 1:7. Then you dive in two groups from two different pangas. Often the second group will catch up with the first group, but it's not too much fun in certain settings to have such a heavy cluster of divers. Personally, I hate being in a remote location and crowded by 16 divers or more if another live-aboard is diving at the same site and same time.

And yes, PLBs are carried by divers on live-aboards, but not much help if you don't make it to the surface. So one additional thing I personally use and think would be good for everyone to have is a noisemaker...along with a briefing that insists they only be used in emergencies...not to say "Look what I see!" because you would drive divers nuts with that much noise. Noisemaker use for spotting is limited to the dive guides. I usually slide mine up inside my wetsuit sleeve with the lanyard around my wrist...noise free unless I need it. I did use it once for these purposes after a dive guide almost instantly lost the group at Mosqueras...which is next to N. Seymour. It would have sucked to abort Dive 1, Day 1 because he descended so quickly he disappeared before others had the chance to drop. Viz was pretty bad that day. The noisemaker became a means of communication...we found each other and continued the dive.

Side note: He lost the group 2 more times that day (both at N. Seymour) after a warning post first dive. I fired him at the end of the day. Saw him on a live-aboard at Darwin the following week where he was one of the DMs. Now check on behalf of any client as I would refuse to send anyone on a boat he is a DM on.

And back to the noisemakers. This very simple thing could have been a means for a diver left behind to essentially yell for help. Divers, especially in the Galapagos, quickly grow accustomed to immediately turning at the sound of them...usually to see what the dive guide has spotted, so they would be effective...again, if not abused and seriously only used for emergencies. I use one of the cylindrical Tridents, easy to tuck away. We end up so focused on SMBs, PLBs, mirrors, etc (all mandatory to carry, but only helpful on the surface), but I do believe a noisemaker very well could make the kind of difference you need when and where you need it.

Last edited:
I have been to the Galapagos. Twice. The water temp is cold. Typically 60's or low 70's which means you need a thick wetsuit. Which means you will need a lot of weight to get down which a lot of warm water divers are not used to. Having a little difficulty on the check out dive is not uncommon because a lot of divers will be diving with equipment they are not used to .
The currents are fast. We would typically head straight for the bottom and hold on for dear life until we saw a Whale shark. There is no way you can swim against the current
The visibility is also not that great 30 -40'. Typically we would dive from small boats (pangas) with one divemaster and 5 to 7 divers. It would be extremely difficult for any divemaster to keep track of 7 divers in these conditions.
Having said that, yes the conditions are somewhat more difficult than the average Caribbean dive, but not all that more difficult. From reading the posts of a lot of divers here who dive in cold lakes or caves and caverns should have no problem with the Galapagos.
The problem is how do you decide who is experienced enough to dive the Galapagos? 10 dives? 50 dives? 100 dives? 500 dives? I just do not think there is a way to predict if someone will panic, or have a medical problem underwater. I'm sure a lot of less experienced have dove the Galapagos with no problems. The problem is that in the galapagos, with the fast currents and low visibility, if someone does have a problem, it will be easier for them to get separated from their group and thus not be near anyone who might be able to easily rescue or help them. This is probably what happened here.
So, it is very unfortunate for this person and I feel for her family, but I just don't think there will be any way to make the Galapagos completely safe.

I wanted to toss in a few things about diving in the Galapagos. As has been reiterated, Galapagos live-aboards are for experienced divers. You fill out an application that says you are advanced. Vetting is limited to a profile on paper. There's no other way around this.
Well ... there are many ways around this problem, not all of them fool-proof, but just the same a good start.
A live-aboard check dive here is not really even a dive so much as dropping in the water to figure out your weight. That is less true on land-based dives where you usually drop in the water for a couple of minutes and then head to your first dive with the same tank, so DMs are usually paying more attention to what a diver is like than on a live-aboard, especially since less experienced divers are permitted on the daily dives. No minimum level required for N. Seymour, btw.
Requiring a certain level of certification is clearly not the solution (I frequently turned Certified Recreational Instructors away for lack of knowledge and skill.
Struggling with weighting...First, it's really common for divers to need to overweight and drop weights as the days progress. Not only are you in a 7mm (and not everyone is used to a 7mm), but the salinity of the water is 6% higher than almost anywhere else anyone dives . Add to that an empty aluminum tank at the end of the dive and it often adds up to bobbing like an apple, therefore many end up over-weighted until they feel more comfortable.
A 6% change in salinity represents less than two lbs on a 25 lb belt. If divers need to reweight because of this or don't know how to deal with an empty AL tank, you have got real problems.
... Divers, especially in the Galapagos, quickly grow accustomed to immediately turning at the sound of them...usually to see what the dive guide has spotted, so they would be effective...again, if not abused and seriously only used for emergencies. I use one of the cylindrical Tridents, easy to tuck away. We end up so focused on SMBs, PLBs, mirrors, etc, but I do believe a noisemaker very well could make the kind of difference you need when and where you need it.
For getting attention I agree, but as far as locating the direction of a sound underwater, that is quite impossible due the speed of sound in water.

Thanks very much for your other insights, they are interesting and quite helpful.

But if we're looking for lessons to be learned I don't think team diving is a realistic application. I've no doubt that it would be great, I just don't see it happening.

Why not? My buddy and I almost always dive together on trips. We stick together, do actual dive planning, stick to the plan, don't "run out of air" and don't "accidentally" go into deco.

We're not "DIR", however there's definitely something to be said for eliminating potential failures, having a known plan for handling those that do occur and for calling a dive where things start going down-hill, not after it's already too late.

Most of it isn't rocket science and aside from knowing how to shoot a bag at depth if blown off the dive site, it takes nothing more than a good OW class, regular practice and reasonable judgement.

While this is definitely a challenging environment, people die all the time while diving, even in benign environments, and nearly every one I've heard about has started with either buddy separation or a mob dive.

Having an actual, specific buddy who's responsible for nobody but himself and you, and a defined plan including a valid "lost buddy" procedure is great place to start.

Eloise was in trouble the moment she became the diver without a specific buddy (Diver #7), and that would have been the time to call the dive.

Terry

For example: write up a statement of understanding that describes the diving and that needs to be signed by the participant and the participants most recent instructor; develop a network of instructors who are empowered to do local checkouts for you; put up videos that show (and explain) the actual diving conditions, insist that participants watch them before signing up; anyone else with ideas?

A 6% change in salinity represents less than two lbs on a 25 lb belt. If divers need to reweight because of this or don't know how to deal with an empty AL tank, you have got real problems.
@Thalassamania: I was preparing my own comments about this. (I need to learn how to type faster.) A pet peeve of mine is when I tell the DM at a warm water dive destination what my weighting requirements are...and he automatically adds 5 - 6 lbs. extra because of the "high salinity" of the local waters. :confused:

Assuming a 6% increase in salinity (avg. sea water 3.4% vs. Galapagos sea water 3.6%), this would translate into an increase in specific gravity from 1.024 to approx. 1.026. If my calculations are correct for the average diver, this would translate into 0.4 - 0.6 extra lbs. of lead total. (Are my calculations off?)

With regard to the AL tank info, the fact that most empty AL80 tanks are positively buoyant is something that I hope an experienced diver already knows...but it's not knowledge that's particularly relevant to conducting a proper weight check. Typically, only full or nearly full tanks are available for weight-checks. In this case, the diver needs to know how much gas is in the tank during the weight check, the tank's service pressure, and the difference in buoyancy characteristics of the tank between full and empty. Knowing these parameters enables determination of proper weighting regardless of tank material composition.

I was being generous at, "less than two lbs." You are a bit closer, that translates to a breathing shift of about a cup of air.

As far as AL tanks are concerned, the shift is a dash more than 4 lbs. Add it to your belt or deal with it on your lungs, any diver who does not know that likely should be weeded out of the trip anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom