Galileo Sol - Bulk or Bite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems that I have "smallish" wrists as well. My band is adjusted to the last hole on the band and I have the excess threaded into the slot and beneath the back of the unit.

The size is great for reading information. No complaints here. Everything I had wished for in a computer. Love it.

Clammy, the unit will stay on while diving if you have it programmed to do so. The auto shutoff is 3 minutes when dry.

One of these just sold on eBay for > $1400. I didn't bid because the seller wasn't a ScubaPro dealer. No dealer sale on all ScubaPro gear = you pay for any and all issues. Recalls, upgrades, what ever. I love that comp and really want that huge display on my wrist, but I have a hard time getting my mind around the requirement of paying top dollar for the thing.

In10se, recalls are recalls. Period. In that case Scubapro/Uwatec (or Suunto or whoever) would have to cover those no matter where the product originally came from. FYI.

In10se, recalls are recalls. Period. In that case Scubapro/Uwatec (or Suunto or whoever) would have to cover those no matter where the product originally came from. FYI.
I'm hoping that's the case, but the local dealers here say other wise. The way it's been explained to me, they track everything by the serial numbers and can tell the history of their equipment from the numbers. If it's bought and sold through the dealer then all is good, but if not then no post-sale support period including recalls. Someone with experience can maybe help out on this one ... ??

I'm hoping that's the case, but the local dealers here say other wise.

Local dealers are programmed to say that cause they want you to buy through them. It's understandable though.

If purchased thru authorized channels and registered, Scubapro will send the customer notification of any issues/ recalls/ whatever. If purchased second hand/ grey market Scubapro doesn't have your contact info.

Scubapro/Uwatec do NOT get to decide whether or not to fix or replace your computer in a recall. Limiting sales to approved dealers doesn't absolve them of liability if someone gets bent (or worse!), no matter whether it was bought from an approved LDS or LP/DiveInn or second hand from eBay/Craigslist. All recalls (not just scuba) have to be on a no-questions-asked basis. Uwatec has specific experience with this BTW.

Like a car seat recall, they can't notify you if you don't send your contact information. In the case that you didn't send in a registration card, you might need to contact them instead. SB is a great resource for this type of thing, I think NetDoc and the mods are even considering a recall specific forum. Or just check the vendor website periodically.

Its true that there is nothing to prevent your LDS from being dicks and not helping you (even if you bought it from a different approved dealer), but that falls under "cutting of your nose to spite your face", alienating a potential new customer. That's always the case, though. In that case all recalls have toll free numbers to get the necessary shipping information.

If your LDS is feeding you bull***** saying that gray market regs and computers don't get recall support, they are probably lying to you and if that's true they don't deserve your money in the first place.

John (Aladin Tec2G owner, ironically, bought from an approved Scubapro/Uwatec dealer :wink:)

Scubapro/Uwatec do NOT get to decide whether or not to fix or replace your computer in a recall. Limiting sales to approved dealers doesn't absolve them of liability if someone gets bent (or worse!), no matter whether it was bought from an approved LDS or LP/DiveInn or second hand from eBay/Craigslist. All recalls (not just scuba) have to be on a no-questions-asked basis. Uwatec has specific experience with this BTW.

Like a car seat recall, they can't notify you if you don't send your contact information. In the case that you didn't send in a registration card, you might need to contact them instead. SB is a great resource for this type of thing, I think NetDoc and the mods are even considering a recall specific forum. Or just check the vendor website periodically.

Its true that there is nothing to prevent your LDS from being dicks and not helping you (even if you bought it from a different approved dealer), but that falls under "cutting of your nose to spite your face", alienating a potential new customer. That's always the case, though. In that case all recalls have toll free numbers to get the necessary shipping information.

If your LDS is feeding you bull***** saying that gray market regs and computers don't get recall support, they are probably lying to you and if that's true they don't deserve your money in the first place.

John (Aladin Tec2G owner, ironically, bought from an approved Scubapro/Uwatec dealer :wink:)

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Uwatek is marketed in this country by Scuba Pro. Scuba Pro provides the US warranty. Consequently, they only warrant the products that they bring into the country. They are not responsible for some Uwatek product that you bought in, say, Switzerland -- where they are made.

This is a pretty common issue in imported products. The same sort of situation arises with Nikon and Canon cameras, for example. Sometimes a company will choose to sell another company's product but under their own name. Chevvy sells Daewoos as Chevy's here. If you imported a Daewoo from Korea you wouldn't expect Chevy to warrant it would you? The same principle pertains to other products even if they are sold under their original names.

Just something to think about...

TED

But what's the time limit on the sol before it turns off?

It turns off if there is no change in pressure for 40 seconds. Any change in pressure will cause it to turn back on again. (It also turns off if the pressure drops below 200 lbs.

I don't know if this is still relevant to you, but you never got the answer on it.

Regards,
TED

It turns off if there is no change in pressure for 40 seconds. Any change in pressure will cause it to turn back on again. (It also turns off if the pressure drops below 200 lbs.

I don't know if this is still relevant to you, but you never got the answer on it.

Regards,
TED

Actually, I got one!! thanks though! So wait.. if you're breathing your tank down underwater and you go under 200 ft.. it'll turn off? Or it won't because of the water contacts/depth?

There's actually a lot of that computer that I don't understand and wish they had a better manual on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom