Galveston Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phxcamera

Reaction score
I've got some flight vouchers on Continental, and the only decent flight pricing I can get is PHX - Houston, sooooo, whaddaya all know about diving in the Galveston area? Any websites? I saw something about rig diving? Still a new diver, and I've never heard about that type of diving..

Any info would be great!!! Thanks!

Check with the Houston Scuba Academy for trips to the Flower Gardens. You don't want to miss it.
Rick

I'm interested in Flower Mounds, too. Are there several dive shops that go there? Who do you recommend? I understand it's an overnite boatride? I'm thinking about taking a long weekend to do it, we live in SW Oklahoma.

Rick, do you have any contact numbers for someone who goes out to Flower Gardens? We're thinking of going for my husband's birthday July 7.

Thanks Rick! Is it a good trip? We have thought about moving to coastal Texas someday, what's the diving like around Corpus and Galveston beside Flower Gardens? Is it seasonal or year round? Trying to decide between Texas and San Diego but SD is soo Expensive and the water is soo cold! But I also have to find somewhere with good horseshows. CA is a little better than TX but my trainer is in TX so it's kind of a tossup.

OK, so I read all the stuff at the Rinn site. It sounds great, you go to Stetson and Flower Gardens on a typical 2 day trip? How bad is the bathroom wait with only 3 heads and two showers? Do they have a women's restroom? Are they private sleep quarters for two?

Better?
I wouldn't touch that one!
They are different. The Flower Gardens are completely covered in hard coral, the banks are not. The banks remind me of the Texas hill country in an odd way.. the striations look amazingly like dirt roads carved through the rock.
Though there is probably less marine life at the banks, unlike the Gardens, they have few places to hide so the place is teeming with fish. So are the Flower Gardens.
Better?
If I could make only one dive, I'd make mine on the East Flower Gardens; the Lovely Young Kat [my bride] would choose Stetson Bank.
If you do a weekend on the Spree or the Fling, you'll make five dives on the Flower Gardens, two on Stetson Bank and one on a rig.
Rick

Thanks Rick. I'm still working on talking my husband into the live aboard idea. He's kind of a land-lover. How does Kat like the boat, are there usually very many woman?

Back
Top Bottom