Gas prices affecting you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rollie:
Has the gas price increase effected any ones travel plans. I for one have to give up the Brockville area for this year my SUV pig just cost to much to run. I'm sure the charter boats will be increasing rates as well, its to bad and I guess lake Simcoe will have to do for the rest of the season as I live close by.
Rollie

It doesn't change things much for me.

I drive a Subaru, and can do any of the dives around the state for less than a tank of gas, which even at $3/gallon is only about $30. All it means is that it costs me and my buddy an extra $5 or so to go diving.

On the other hand, I was seriously considering getting one of those road-warrior SUVs last year so we could put more stuff in it. I'm really glad I didn't since for me, there's a big difference between a $30 drive and a $90 drive.

Terry

Firediver:
HERE IN New Brunswick it's $1.12/liter just went up today another 6 cents from last weeks hike
We got a $0.05 hike in Edmonton. We are sitting at $0.98/liter

mongoose:
This is what kills me... If I understand correctly (maybe I don't), diesel does not have to be refined to the degree that gasoline does. So ... why is it more expensive?
The demand for diesel is much higher as those who use it do so in quantity that is considerably more so than the average driver. Actually, in its own right, thats a good thing.. current prices of diesel are VERY close to what Biodiesel costs and the benefits of biodiesel are such that it would actually cost less to use.
My big question...Do we truly have any competition in the oil market? Maybe we do, maybe we don't...I would just feel better if I knew with absolute certainty that we did.

Just random thoughts, not trying to light a fire...

Heh.. no fire, just a lil combustion.. pressure if you will. :D

We do have competition. Both China and India have had HUGE growth industrially and economically. As a result of this prosperity BOTH of these countries have dramatically increased their demand for Petrolium products. The result of this increase has been the rise of crude oil prices (when something is in demand or more valuable, prices rise till the market says 'I'm not paying any higher!') at a rate that is much faster than the public is used to seeing.

Know what the ultimate change would be given current technology? A diesel hybrid! Why? Because if its a diesel engine it would run on biodiesel. If it runs on biodiesel, the supply is limited to as much as we grow.

In CNY premium's a bit under $2.60/gallon, so a 200 mile SUV round trip is only about $21 (a pretty efficient 6 cylinder).

smoritz0370:
Actually the VW Jetta Wagon has a better load rating than all of the small SUVs (CRV, Escape, etc). It is rated for 1000 lbs which is only marginally smaller than most of the mid sized SUVs which are typically about 1100-1300 lbs. Doing some quick math...
2 people at 500 lbs total
2 sets of doubles at 220 lbs total
2 stage/deco bottles at 80 lbs
That leaves 200 lbs for other miscellaneous gear. Seems adequate, maybe I am underestimating the loads but I know my wife and I have no problem carting all my SCUBA gear plus camping gear (and we don't pack light) plus a child plus pets into her wagon.
Well I am not sure how you did it, but the one I sat on/in was very disappointing when it comes to the load capacity. My truck has absolutely no problems carrying the gear (you have seen it, so you know what I have), heck I had 17 AL80's in there once and she didn't even notice.

My dive buddy has a Subaru Legacy Outback, nice load capacity but even that car has problems with gear for the 2 of us. (2 sets of doubles, 2 stage bottles, bp/w's, suits, gear....etc). It wines and creaks, the rear suspension is almost fully compressed and it has a stiffer/larger spring then the Jetta.

The way I figured the weight is this (and please correct me if I am off).

2 sets of doubles full of gas :: 120lbs x2 for tanks & 40lbs for gas x2 = 320lbs
2 sets of AL80 stage :: 36lbs x2 for tanks & 20lbs for gas = 92lbs
2 sets of misc gear (led, regs, lights, bp/w, suits....etc) :: 80lbs-100lbs
2 large adults :: 275lbs + 210lbs = 485lbs

Total so far is 977-997lbs, to that you still have to add the weight of gas and any other misc gear you might bring (water, food, camping gear, clothing, beer....etc) which would go over the allowed weight for the Jetta.

BUT I would love the rent/borrow one for a diving weekend and see how she does under the load. As for the gas consumption you can't beat them, but I am not sure if they are the ultimate diving vehicle.

Right now we use my truck when we go diving and the average gas consumption is not affected by the gear (or very little if I have A/C on), but I would love to get something better.

Hey Firediver..

Ok.. you win :) I guess we V-Islanders should count our blessings!! Glad I won't have my car when I'm out your way next month!! Based on what I'm reading here I may have to leave 'the mob' and relocate to Edmonton... 0.98 and they have no PST.. at least not the last time I checked :)

Michael_Lambert:
Ford has started there hydrogen cars.. Running off water.. How ever they can not pass any safty yet due to the fact they will blow up if rear ended :(

http://www.ford.com/en/vehicles/specialtyVehicles/environmental/fuelCell/focusFCV.htm

Didn't stop them selling the Pinto. :wink:

Hydrogen won't be cheaper than gas though. It requires a large input of electricity to break down the water into hydrogen and oxygen (although both are very saleable products). And we're also short of capacity there and prices will rise.

gitterdun:
I paid $1.07/litre last week........yikes.....(premium)

I saw premium at $1.15 today. I'll be putting regular in my car.

I don't think I ever suggested it as the ultimate dive vehicle. All I know is what I have done. I am not yet carrying stages, maybe that will brake it and I will need to get something else at that time.

I also don't have as big tanks as you have... so let me do a closer inspection:
2 HP100s: 33 lbs each, plus 8.2 lbs for air each = 82.4 lbs
1 40 cft deco bottle: 15.3 lbs plus air 3.2 = 18.5 lbs
bands and manifold = 10 lbs? No idea just a guess
Backplate: 6 lbs
regulators with hoses etc, 10 lbs another guess
total = 126.9 lbs
Allow for the rest of my gear to be about 50% of the total of that weight = 63.5 lbs
new total = 190.4 lbs
double it = 380.7 lbs

If I ever switch to bigger tanks say 130s
2 E8-130s: 44 lbs each plus 10.4 lbs for air = 109 lbs
everything else the same: total ~434 lbs

I am still using less than half the rated capacity for SCUBA gear. Add weight of 3 people at 450 lbs and I have about 116 lbs for clothes, camping gear and pets. Not that I necessarily want to be at the max rating, although I suspect there is a positive safety margin.

My biggest problem with the Jetta is not load but volume...but with same patience and perseverance I have managed to overcome it thus far.

Tamas:
Well I am not sure how you did it, but the one I sat on/in was very disappointing when it comes to the load capacity. My truck has absolutely no problems carrying the gear (you have seen it, so you know what I have), heck I had 17 AL80's in there once and she didn't even notice.

My dive buddy has a Subaru Legacy Outback, nice load capacity but even that car has problems with gear for the 2 of us. (2 sets of doubles, 2 stage bottles, bp/w's, suits, gear....etc). It wines and creaks, the rear suspension is almost fully compressed and it has a stiffer/larger spring then the Jetta.

The way I figured the weight is this (and please correct me if I am off).

2 sets of doubles full of gas :: 120lbs x2 for tanks & 40lbs for gas x2 = 320lbs
2 sets of AL80 stage :: 36lbs x2 for tanks & 20lbs for gas = 92lbs
2 sets of misc gear (led, regs, lights, bp/w, suits....etc) :: 80lbs-100lbs
2 large adults :: 275lbs + 210lbs = 485lbs

Total so far is 977-997lbs, to that you still have to add the weight of gas and any other misc gear you might bring (water, food, camping gear, clothing, beer....etc) which would go over the allowed weight for the Jetta.

BUT I would love the rent/borrow one for a diving weekend and see how she does under the load. As for the gas consumption you can't beat them, but I am not sure if they are the ultimate diving vehicle.

Right now we use my truck when we go diving and the average gas consumption is not affected by the gear (or very little if I have A/C on), but I would love to get something better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom