Gas prices affecting you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't think any of you know just what kind of energy it takes to get this gas to market, there is allot of money spent removing crude oil from the sea bottom refining and retailing. You just need to be in the industry to realize that even at a dollar its cheap energy. Take a look at other countries like England were gas has been over two pound for the last 12 years. Unfortunately we lucky Canadians do poses the worlds last reserves of oil in the tar sand and be assured the world leaders have there eyes on it.

with gas for .50AUS a litre or $1.38US a gallon yesterday.

By gas, I mean propane, not petrol. I have a duel- fuel car that putts down the road on propane which makes me a true "Forward to the Past" road warrior.

I get the same kpl/mpg as petrol and only a small performance hit. :D

When I drive to Sydney and fuel up there, the price drops to $1.19US a gallon.

There's propane (gas, they call it here) filling stations everywhere in Australia- no hassle ever to find a station with all the gas I need! :wink:

shep

Tamas:
<snipped>
My dive buddy has a Subaru Legacy Outback, nice load capacity but even that car has problems with gear for the 2 of us. (2 sets of doubles, 2 stage bottles, bp/w's, suits, gear....etc). It wines and creaks, the rear suspension is almost fully compressed and it has a stiffer/larger spring then the Jetta.

<snipped>

I have an Outback and we have done several 9-10 hr drives (one way) in it over the last 2 yrs stuffed with 4 sets of large doubles, around 10 stages (4 40s, the rest AL80s), assorted camera gear + clothes,m etc - it did sit very low on the groud, but never bottomed out on us yet.

Handles real well too and is good on gas.

Did we in Canada not switch to the Metric system so as we would not realize that gas was going to go past the $1/gal mark?

Can someone explain to me why ethanol is more expensive then gasoline some days but less on other days? If its made from corn, is it not easier to produce? Why does North America still belong to OPEC and agree to the price fixing?

How much will charters go up because of the increased fuel costs to the operators?

shep:
with gas for .50AUS a litre or $1.38US a gallon yesterday.

By gas, I mean propane, not petrol. I have a duel- fuel car that putts down the road on propane which makes me a true "Forward to the Past" road warrior.

I saw propane today at $0.499/L $CAN. If my van wasn't quite so old, I'd be lining up for a conversion. With my work van, I average 38,000 to 39,000 km a year @ 11L/100km or about 4300 litres. The payback period wouldn't be all that long. Will have to consider it when I replace the van next year.

OTOH, I spent last weekend listening to some power boaters complaining about the cost of fuel (gas & diesel). Lot's of these folks spend $100 or more a day and fuel at the marina's is 10 to 15 cents higher than the gas bar. For myself, I fueled up 2 weekends ago (first fill since the start of the season) after about 25 hours on the little diesel in our sailboat and it took 15.5L @ $1.00/L

I thought Iraq was America's 51 state, why is the prices going up???

High dinosaur prices? BRING EM ON I want to see the crap hit 10.00 a gallon, then alternative fuels will become viable for companies to invest in, right now oil is still SO cheap that the only people taking alternative energy seriously are people worried about the environment.

Diesel does require less refinement, however, the tax on Diesel is much higher then on gasoline, a few years ago West Virginia was taxing diesel at .88 per gallon, that was then.....

I run blends of BIO-DIESEL in my diesel truck, cotton seed oil, soy bean oil, the price on it seams to be staying stable thus far, pollutes FAR less than diesel and the money stays here in the states.

Hybrid? Don't waste your money, find a biodiesel filling station close by and buy a VW or other diesel, proven technology, cheaper vehicle, less emissions then a hybrid.

Fuel Cells, what a joke, use google folks, all hydrogen is, is a battery, to create enough hydrogen it has to come form A. hydrocarbon fueld power plant or B. extract hydrogen directly from hydrocarbons, both produce green house gases, so your 0 emssions vehicle may be clean, but the fuel is far from it, fuel cells have promise for the future, but not for 0 emissions cars.

Did anyone happen to see about Brazil stopping oil imports? Biodiesel and Ethenol (sp). Yes yes I know there is not enough around to produce enough oil to replace our supply but you don't have to replace the supply, start cranking out high tech serial hybrids running biofuel blends and stop oil imports, this would slash pollution output, stop oil imports, and carry us for a LONG time until the next technology comes along.

High prices hurt, but its what people need to migrate to cleaner technology, I could realisticly see a hydrogen economy if the base was breader reactors.. but thats a whole nother story.

High prices suck, but I say let them sky rocket, its the only way to get the market to go away from cheap dirty oil, its just gonna hurt while it happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom