GC airport in mid-June: what to expect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My in-laws are currently on island @ their condo on NW Point. They fly home on 5/21. I'll try to post again when I hear how it went for departure since the area has been expanded. I think the thread about the expansion with the new article is a few slots down.

Whenever we travel there, our daughter almost always gets us bumped to the shortest line (typically residents) so our time to transit immigration is usually faster than the regular line.

We returned to the US on a Saturday in mid-April when things were still somewhat busy and the departure process was pretty quick even though the airport was crowded. If we hadn't over-stayed our visa and had to deal with the immigration folks, it would have been even faster :facepalm:

Last week they were making everyone go to the Red lanes at Customs. Hopefully it is just part of the expansion process and is temporary but definitely added to time for those with nothing to declare. Have a two a from later this week and keeping fingers crossed that will not be the case!

Don (@dberry ), currently sitting in the Cayman Departure Lounge waiting for our flight. First off, free-wifi, which is nice. Second, the departure lounge is double the size and no longer a crowded mass of humanity... same number of folks, but tons more room than the old departure lounge. Same screaming children, however, but what can you do?

That said, there are no duty-free stores in the current lounge... just the Rum Cake folks and some booze folks, but these are stands vice walk-in stores. I suspect that the duty free shops will return in a separate area once they progress a bit more on construction here. Oddly, there are no water fountains anywhere in the lounge. You can purchase an overpriced bottle of water, of course, but I think a water fountain should be available. Hopefully, the unfinished bit will remedy that.

The ticketing area is new, as well. Not much larger than the previous version, but seems large enough.

All in all, quite a big improvement for both arriving passengers and departing passengers. I honestly don’t miss the old days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom