Gear envy...what's yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rebreathers are nice but I reckon their really suited to the more meticullous. Dive lights, well I must of spent a £1000 replacing those I've broken and that Halcyon umbilical went through so many HID bulbs I retired it. These days I've got an Cree SSC P7, which is brighter than a light cannon and cheaper than a UKD4, I dont expect it will last long. As for cylinders to hell with twins, I separated them a few years ago, these days I've gone retro, back to wetsuits and horsecollar ABLJ. I'm even looking for smaller singles. I just about had it with drysuits, I must of been averaging 300 dives per suit and 200 dives per zip let alone all the fussing with seals splitting and punctures I'd spend more on repairs in two years than on a new wetsuit. I gave away one tri-lam and the diverite wing backplate, long hose and extra large jets lie in the back of the garage. I want to try one of those made to measure wetsuits from Italy no zips and open cell on the inside. I've always wanted a dive kayak, ribs are nice but generally we can get a charter cheaper than we could tow run and launch one. I've recently been looking at one of Gary Dierking's double outrigger sailing canoe designs, its called a Wa'Apa. A claimed 6 knots from a 2hp outboard and 12 knot sailing. It tooks just right for the Clyde. Has anyone ever tried one?

Last edited:
Oh, Elena, don't buy a Light Cannon. A 10W HID canister light with Goodman handle is a HUGE step up from there!

I saw a really slick little mini-canister LED deal on Sunday. It looked pretty sweet. Not as bright as my 21W, but not such a discrepancy that I couldn't see his light spot.

It may cost more than a 10W HID, but IMO more than makes up for it in size, battery life and resilience.

I want one.

I've taken to liking the cold water dives that I've done off the coast of BC Canada. I've done all of this wet to date.
For me, my gear envy is two fold, 1st a job and a house in Vancouver (or near by) and the 2nd is a DUI dry suit.
Simple things really :)

If you live and dive in BC in anything other than a Whites drysuit they'll tar and feather you!:rofl3::rofl3: (Plus you'd have to learn to end every sentence with, eh?)

1. A rebreather: love the concept, love the technology, can't love the cost
2. A Gavin X-scooter: my Mako is nice, but ....
3. A White's Fusion: my DCI trilam is wonderful, but I want a second suit.

A long hose.

I looked at a Fusion the other day that was marketed by Scubapro in the UK, I seem to remember the ticket price was around £900. I cant say it looked all that durable and replacing the neck seal looked difficult and replacing the zip :idk:.

With personal aspirations of tec diving and watching a tec instructor and his student on the dive boat the past few weekends, I'd have to say my current dive envy is tec gear.

But listening to the costs of all that gear makes me cringe inside. I'm slowly buying it a piece at a time and integrating it into my dive routine. I'll get there, it will just probably take me another 6 months at this rate.

Oh well, the custom drysuit is on order, one less expensive thing to buy, hundreds more to go.

A custom wetsuit (old school: farmer John, beavertail jacket with attached hood).
Photography gear (digital camera with extreme wide angle lens, a couple of high power strobes).
A diving vacation in the Cayman Islands or Belize.
And a partridge in a pear tree!

Back
Top Bottom