Gear on Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I worked on ships, I had all my own gear. When I went to visit my other half (who still works on ships) earlier this year, i took all my own gear, including drysuit. Just rinsed and hung everything up in the bathroom to dry.

On Roatan if you go with Barefoot they have ScubaPro weight integrated BCD's in very nice shape. Think they were jackets. I'd expect that there, everything is a little upscale as are their guests.

Although I was relaxing near the shop at AKR when one of their cruise dive trips came back and rentals looked decent also. Maybe a little more used. AKR is pretty safety minded, we had to do a mask clearing before the dolphin dive so I'd expect their rental gear is in good condition also.

If I'm driving to the cruise port, I always take my own gear. It fits better than rental gear, I know that it's well maintained, and I know how much weight I'll need to use with it. After the dives, I usually rinse the gear out in the shower by the pool and hang it over a deck chair, then when it stops dripping, I carry it into my cabin and hang it on the balcony unless the weather is bad. That didn't work with a Carnival "cove balcony" though. The sea spray got everything wet and salty.
When I'm flying to the cruise port, the decision is more difficult. I have to weigh the cost and hassle of traveling with an extra checked bag against the benefits of diving with my own gear.

If I'm driving to the cruise port, I always take my own gear. It fits better than rental gear, I know that it's well maintained, and I know how much weight I'll need to use with it. After the dives, I usually rinse the gear out in the shower by the pool and hang it over a deck chair, then when it stops dripping, I carry it into my cabin and hang it on the balcony unless the weather is bad. That didn't work with a Carnival "cove balcony" though. The sea spray got everything wet and salty.
When I'm flying to the cruise port, the decision is more difficult. I have to weigh the cost and hassle of traveling with an extra checked bag against the benefits of diving with my own gear.

Fortunately I'm driving so I can take it if I want. I've just got to get my wife to commit to letting me go on a few dives. I think if I'm just doing one dive excursion, I might not bring everything (maybe just the reg set). If I'm doing two dives, I'll probably bring everything. My balcony is on the 9th deck so I don't think there will be any salt spray but only the salt air. That's where I usually dry stuff out.

Thanks all for the recommendations!

Jim

From what I have seen, most rental gear on cruise dives is in pretty good shape, but it is not my gear. I always take my own mask, fins, boots, wetsuit and regs/computer, so the only question is whether or not I take the bc. Now that I have reduced my bc weight to around 4#, there is really no reason not to take that too.

I'm back and took my gear. Had it not been for the fact that I opted for early disembarkation, there wouldn't have been a problem hauling it. It was a pain this morning getting off the boat carrying everything ourselves so we could get on the road by 8:00 AM (and home by 12:30 PM). Of course a large part of the problem was my brand new suitcase that I bought 3 days before I left busted a wheel and I literally was dragging it along the ground with my dive bag in the other hand.

I like having my own stuff but carrying it all this morning wasn't worth it. I'll look at other options before my next cruise.

Jim

Ouch, that sucks. Yeah, every cruise I take my own dive gear so I know I'm using quality, cared-for equipment. Then every year I swear I'm going to rent next time so I don't have to pack and drag so much!

Yes, I'm taking my gear again this year. Too damned stubborn I guess!

One thing we learned years ago was to figure out which excursions we wanted to book and book them early. Many fill up completely more than a month before sailing, and waiting until you get on board means you may not get anything you want. Of course a lot of times we just enjoy grabbing a taxi to town and enjoying some shopping and dining.

One thing we learned years ago was to figure out which excursions we wanted to book and book them early. Many fill up completely more than a month before sailing, and waiting until you get on board means you may not get anything you want. Of course a lot of times we just enjoy grabbing a taxi to town and enjoying some shopping and dining.

That would work if you can get your wife to look at the excursions before you get on the ship. I've got everything planned out for what I want to do probably 4 months before the cruise. My wife, not so much. Before I book the cruise I'm planning the excursions. My wife, probably a day <after> we get on board. Not much I can do about it. The indecisiveness is also why I choose the cruise chip excursions, because most of the time I have to cancel/reschedule things on a moments notice.

Jim

Usually I only dive once on a cruise and just use their gear. This time I may be doing a couple of dives so I was wondering how many folks take their gear (other than snorkel, mask and fins which I always take)?

It's a pain to haul all that stuff but I sure do like the familiar feeling of my own gear. I'm just not sure it's worth the hassle.

Just wonder what others do...

Jim

It's 2014 and the airlines suck. Mask snorkel fins and computer, rent the rest. If the place you are diving with doesn't have high-quality gear you should be thinking twice about diving with them anyways. People want their own gear for familiarity and safety... safety isn't really not an issue. If you have to have it for familiarity so be it, but you know we used to dive without BC's at all. You test your regs before you dive, you have two, you actually have 3 if you count your buddy. I've witnessed more divers personal regs go bad or have to be worked on during dive trips than I ever have seen the dive shops regs being bad. Lot of effort and expense to haul your own stuff and cabins no matter how nice are small enough already. Never hauled all that stuff and never will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom