Gear on Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being late or being diverted isn't an issue with a good independent operator, you won't be their first cruise ship diver experience, they've been dealing with the unique issues of cruise ship divers for a long time. Your arrival is not a secret and good operators check in with the harbor master in the morning to confirm your ships arrival time. If you are supposed to contact them instead of them already being proactive and doing what needs to be done to be waiting on the dock when your ship does arrive, you've got the wrong outfit. If you get diverted any decent independent operator will automatically refund your deposits.
Unlike jimbeeler, I do sometimes take cruises to dive (I also go to dive resorts: I'm at Buddy Dive in Bonaire this week). Because I prefer dives with independent operators to cruise ship dive excursions, I've done a lot of research trying to book dives with independent operators. I've discovered this: Few of the recommended dive operators cater to cruise ship passengers. Those who don't will often refund deposits if a ship doesn't make port, but they will not change their dive trip schedules to accommodate a late arriving ship and they will seldom pick up divers at the cruise terminal. So unless your time in port matches up with dive trip times, it will be difficult or impossible to dive with an independent dive operator. If you ship is delayed, making you miss the independent's scheduled dive time, the best you can hope for is a return of your deposit, but it is unlikely that you will get to dive in that port.

It all depends on the port. In Cozumel, everything you said wouldn't apply. In Dominica you'd be right on the money. And there is everything in between.

Not sure why lateness to port is such a big concern or topic, have yet to be on any cruise that ever arrived late. Even one time when we got stuck floating on the water for 3 hours because they came across a raft with Cubans on it and had to wait until the coast guard arrived, the ship still made up the time.

It all depends on the port. In Cozumel, everything you said wouldn't apply. In Dominica you'd be right on the money. And there is everything in between.

Not sure why lateness to port is such a big concern or topic, have yet to be on any cruise that ever arrived late. Even one time when we got stuck floating on the water for 3 hours because they came across a raft with Cubans on it and had to wait until the coast guard arrived, the ship still made up the time.

If you know an independent dive op in Cozumel who will adjust the times of their dive trips to a cruise ship's schedule, please post it. I will be on a cruise that is scheduled to be in Cozumel between 9 AM and 5 PM Cozumel time. That's one of the things I meant by "late", as in too late for the 8 AM dives and too early for afternoon dives.
The other thing I meant by "late" was unexpectedly late. Just this August I was on a ship that arrived in Yokohama several hours late because the harbor was closed due to fog. Two years ago my cruise arrived in Durban several hours late because it was held up by South African customs. We nearly missed the only flight to a 3-day excursion we had arranged independently. Those are only two examples. Any number of things can delay a ship.

Just this August I was on a ship that arrived in Yokohama several hours late because the harbor was closed due to fog. Two years ago my cruise arrived in Durban several hours late because it was held up by South African customs.

Well okay then mr high roller... Japan, Durban.... geeze, I thought we were talking about the rest of us in the ghetto of the Caribbean. :)

Contact Christi @ BlueXTsea or Memo @ Aldora in Cozumel, they deal with cruise ships all the time and as always mileage may very, there are plenty of variables, such as their schedules and the time of the year, and how many divers you have (if you have 4 you can write your own ticket with a lot of dive ops there as they will give you your own boat), Dive With Martin will even try to find other divers diving with them to leave at a cruise ship arrival time if they can. They used to be right at one of the cruise ship docks (can't remember which one now, did our first dives with them in Cozumel off a cruise ship oh so many eons ago, when Martin was still alive.)

Beyond those which are some of the most highly rated dive ops in Cozumel, there are plenty of others. Deep Blue loves cruise ship divers and has dive times specifically for people arriving via cruise ship. Dive Paradise is one of the larger outfits and has multiple locations in Cozumel and a lot of boats, don't know if Apple does a lot of cruise ship business but she is a sweet heart and a quick email might be worth it.

Beyond that.. google is your friend as there are over 100 dive operators in Cozumel.

If you know an independent dive op in Cozumel who will adjust the times of their dive trips to a cruise ship's schedule, please post it.

Scuba with Alison will accommodate a cruise ship schedule. I just booked my Oct dives with her. I also had great cruise diving with Grand Bahama Scuba, they did hold up their morning boat a little bit for us. But you are absolutely correct, there a some places where they will not wait or even attempt to work with your ships timing.

I have been late to port before on a cruise. Some legs the ship has plenty of room to speed up to make up lost time. Other legs they are running hard to make port and bad weather just slows them down too much. But I think that's rare. We were in 15-20 foot seas and that 1000 foot long ship was like a freaking trampoline.

While I was working on ships, I never had an issue lining up a dive with an outside op. Also, never had an issue re-scheduling if ports were changed around for whatever reason.

:cheerleader:I would bring my gear. It's my lifeline and I'm familiar w it's serviced,handled, and storage. I leave my dive knife, tanks, and weights. I also bring my wetsuits. I would do a quick rinse it at the dive shop than a good cleaning in the shower and dry it in the balcony. Blue Angels, Del Mar Aquatics, and Dive House have several dive times and take small group 6-8divers. Aquaworld have a dive time of 11:30am for divers that sleeps in, but is not recommended, it's a cattle boat. However, I prefer to dive at 7:30-8am to avoid�� cruisers , but if my husband is coming along it's 9am ��dive time for us. Have a great and safe dives!

Jimbeeler! Diving is my one of the most desired, I love diving. You are so lucky that you're doing such amazing and fun work. I wish I could be your place.

Back
Top Bottom