Gear question for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zanzibar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Relatively new diver, 10 dives, and thinking about doing a liveaboard this spring.
Given the fact that I have been certified for several years and only have 10 dives, not willing to invest in new gear. My question is, would it be prudent to buy used gear, to include dive calculator, that I may only use once a year. Have seen lots of gear for sale on craigslist, much of which if 5 years old and rarely/never been used. Does technology change enough to make gear obsolete, etc. Any other thoughts on buying used gear would be appreciated.

By the way, I see myself as a strictly recreational diver. At this point, no desire to go below 3 atmospheres or do any cave diving, etc.

Thanks.

Don't spend a bunch of money buying a bunch of cheap, used gear. Scuba gear is life-support equipment when you're underwater.

Buy one or two high-quality, new items, and rent the rest. Next year buy another high-quality, new item. Repeat annually as needed.

I think it's ok to get a less-than-ideal wetsuit or dive knife or even fins if money is an issue, but I always recommend going for the good stuff when purchasing regulators, BCDs and dive computers. It's a question of whether or not my life may depend on the item operating correctly at all times.

You are going to need a Dive Computer not a calculator. Most Liveaboards require a computer. If you buy a used regulator have it serviced by your local dive shop before bringing it on your trip. You could probably get a new one for the cost of the used one, parts and labor.

I'm not a new diver, but I'll try anyway.

The only thing I buy that is new is air, and even that is second hand.

I have never bought or used anything new, and that's 30yrs buying
almost 40yrs using.

If you weren't in Africa I could set myself up for a few hundred bucks
and you for a couple of hundred more.

Don't spend a bunch of money buying a bunch of cheap, used gear. Scuba gear is life-support equipment when you're underwater.
This is a classic line used by people in the business of selling dive gear to coerce people into paying too much for it. People abandon scuba diving in droves and the result is a lot of barely used gear for sale at a steep discount. Scuba gear in general is robust and resistant to failure, and most conceivable failures are not catastrophic. Buy the used equipment; read the posts of some of the regulator gurus on Scubaboard beforehand, and maintain and service your gear properly and you'll be fine.

If you only plan on doing a few dives a year then I would rent. Rental equipment should be on good working order and regularly serviced and if it's not then find somewhere else to dive.

I would suggest investing in a mask (it's cheap and having a badly fitting mask would ruin a dive) and a dive computer. You can pick up a decent but basic dive computer for a couple of hundred dollars. I suggest having your own as not all dive schools have enough stock to rent to every customer and I'd not dive without one.

If you find you are doing more dives and rental prices are costing hundreds of dollars it makes economic sense to buy your own gear. Like anything, there's no problem buying used just make sure it is good condition and serviced. Treat it like you would buying a car: check it out, take an expert, ask to try it before buying. My husband has sold on ebay before and the only reason he's selling? Typical man, likes it, buys it, uses a few times, sees a newer shinier model, or something that suits him better. So I'm sure there are a few well kept second hand bargains floating around.

In addition to vladimir's post above, I would add that with used gear, brand matters. There are quite a few brands of regs whose older models are difficult to source parts. When you locate gear you want to purchase, ask about it in the gear forums. There are a few people who hang out there who will give honest and experienced opinion without adding sensationalized nonsense.

Welcome to the board.
Used gear can be a great option, those who make comments about it being "life support equipment" so you should never buy used quite frankly have no clue what they are talking about. Regulators have changed little in the last 30+ years. All of them on the market today are well made and will give you solid performance. What they do not realize we ALL dive used equipment on every dive, the only issue is who dove it last, them or a stranger. Dive regulators are not some delicate, easily worn out piece of equipment, actually they are quite robust and can take a lot of neglect before failing and age has little to do with performance. There are plenty of 30, 40 and even 50 yo regs still working as good as new. The key is having the reg serviced by a competent reg tech. A service done properly replaces all the internal parts that wear or age, the parts that remain rarely break and if kept corrosion free will last the lifetime of several diver.

Another statement you will hear is "buy the best quality you can afford, don't buy cheap". There is a nugget of truth to that but it is not quite as simple as just buying the most expensive one you can find. The truth is most high end regs from any manufacturer are internally exactly like their less expensive models with some added bling, stickers and an adjustment or 2 but nothing that effects performance or the life of the reg. Same goes for brands, fact is there are really 3 common first stage designs and 2 seconds stage designs that almost (there are one or 2 odd balls) every manufactures uses, no one is reinventing the wheel. There is little real difference any of the brands. Stick with the mid range reg in any well known brand and you will get a good reg.

SO, if buying used is not a bad thing, there are a couple of things you should consider. While from a design standpoint brand name is not important, I do feel it is from a service one. Many of the old regs will work fine IF you can get them serviced and this becomes the key to picking a good used reg. For a first reg, pick a well know brand that has a long history. All Scubapro regs (that I am aware of) and the majority of Aqualung (aka US Divers) except for the really old ones are still easy to get serviced. Most of the other well know brands can also be serviced fairly easily but make sure you have a service shop near you before buying a reg. Go on line and search the on line web sites, if you can’t find the brand currently being sold by a good number of dealers, avoid that brand. Dacor is a prime example, there are lots of them around but almost impossible to get serviced. If possible, have the reg given a quick check by a tech. They can give you a reasonable evaluation in a few minutes although plan on having the reg serviced after you buy it, another $100+/- so include that when considering the cost of the reg. Obviously this is not required of a new reg but it will be after the first year so it is only a consideration for the first year of service, if you are getting the reg for ½ or less of it’s original cost, the extra service cost is made up for quite quickly.

BC’s are a little more simple. If it is not worn out (fading is OK) or broke ,it will hold air for at least an hour when inflated (do not over inflate ) and all the inflators and dumps work then there is little else to go wrong. Used BC’s can be had very inexpensively. Dump valves and inflators on MOST BC’s are easily replaceable so a slightly leaking one is not an automatic no sale, many leaking ones just need a simple cleaning. Again, a quick check by a good tech can help you decide…

Bottom line is used gear can be a great deal if the price is right and you can find local service. The simple fact that the gear is a few years old or not the latest and greatest is unimportant as long as it’s well maintained .

Greetings, Zanzibar -

If you dive on average 3 dives a year, 10 total, have you made sure that the diving on your intended liveaboard is suitable for your level? Will you be traveling with an experienced buddy, or relying on an insta-buddy? Will there be an in-the-water DM that you can buddy with? Will you be taking a refresher course before you go?

To my mind, questions like these are more important than gear, given your experience (or lack of same). Not trying to discourage you ... I'm sure you'd love the experience, if everything goes well.

Used gear can be a great deal...just be sure you know what you are doing with regs. You will want to have them serviced immediately. Make sure there is a dealer in your area and know it is going to cost about $100 if the hoses are all in good shape. Sometimes dive gear sits in garages for years and hoses rot.

Here is where people kind of/sorta screw up. Say you get reg set that is five years old and retailed for $800 for $400. It is in good shape and you have it serviced. So now it is a $500 investment. A year later it is serviced again, is six years old and costs $600. If hoses need changing that could run another $60 or more....you get the idea.

You could easily get a new set for $800, get free parts, and a year later have a year old set with a warranty for $875. Is it worth saving +/- $250 bucks? That is up to you. To me it is not really a good value unless the used regs are really good quality and really cheap!!! You can find great deals if you look hard enough and be patient, but many people try to sell used dive gear waaaaaay over priced because they "hardly used it."

Second I would never buy a used wetsuit. Squeezing into someone's old pee sponge is really, really gross. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom