Gear Servicing - How Regular Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BIGSAGE136:
Equipment, especially your gas system needs certain lubrication that can dry out depending on conditions.

Really? The most common greases used in scubagear like Dow 7 or Cristolube appear to be high quality silicones or flourocarbons with low volitile contents. So what is there to dry out? Is this based on observation or a through the grapevine bit of knowledge? Remember original poster was asking about what needs service in equipment that has not been used much.

Mr Carcharodon:
Really? The most common greases used in scubagear like Dow 7 or Cristolube appear to be high quality silicones or flourocarbons with low volitile contents. So what is there to dry out? Is this based on observation or a through the grapevine bit of knowledge? Remember original poster was asking about what needs service in equipment that has not been used much.

I guess you can call it the grapevine. I can also add personal experience.

To be honest, I have a real problem taking a perfectly breathing reg in for a service from which is may come back with a problem. I have an MK20/S550 that I've been diving for about 3.5 years without a service (avg about 8 dives a year between salt and fresh). I am going to bring it in now though because I know I'm pushing it.

Bobby_M:
To be honest, I have a real problem taking a perfectly breathing reg in for a service from which is may come back with a problem. ....

According to DAN most regulator problems occur in the first few dives after servicing.

Nothing in a regulator "dries out" The O rings do deteriorate over a very long time.

The answer to the OP is how well do you look after your gear? If you throw it wet with seawater into a bag at the end of the dive and leave it there until the next dive then it needs a regular service. If you soak the reg, dry it and store it properly then it does not need an annual service. The industry assumes that you don't look after it.

A BC is a bag of wind - not sure what you are having "serviced". The inflator/dump sticks on some poor quality models. Junk it for a good one and rinse it with fresh water after each dive. There are no other moving parts.

Chris

Thanks for all the replies.

What I was gunning for was whether I should service my gear more than the recommended once a year because I try to dive at least twice a week.

I definitely do look after my gear, considering the $$$ I put into this stuff. I rinse everything thoroughly at the end of each dive day. My BC gets dunked and I even rinse, shake, and flush fresh water through the bladder. And everything else is treated well, I would hope.

:D

chrisch:
According to DAN most regulator problems occur in the first few dives after servicing.

Nothing in a regulator "dries out" The O rings do deteriorate over a very long time.

The answer to the OP is how well do you look after your gear? If you throw it wet with seawater into a bag at the end of the dive and leave it there until the next dive then it needs a regular service. If you soak the reg, dry it and store it properly then it does not need an annual service. The industry assumes that you don't look after it.

A BC is a bag of wind - not sure what you are having "serviced". The inflator/dump sticks on some poor quality models. Junk it for a good one and rinse it with fresh water after each dive. There are no other moving parts.

Chris

Don't ya know, you need to PAY somebody $$$ to tell you it still holds air. That way you feel better while you dive. Sheesh! I thought you would know that :wink:

Deuces:
Thanks for all the replies.

What I was gunning for was whether I should service my gear more than the recommended once a year because I try to dive at least twice a week.

I definitely do look after my gear, considering the $$$ I put into this stuff. I rinse everything thoroughly at the end of each dive day. My BC gets dunked and I even rinse, shake, and flush fresh water through the bladder. And everything else is treated well, I would hope.

:D
IMHO, If you want to maintain the warrenty then do as the Manufacturer suggests.

I was told by my mentor that, more often than not, a reg will start giving signs of failure before it fails. I noticed in one reg I had that it was leaking where it shouldn't be leaking, I had it serviced and it had some corrosion inside. Must have gotton wet at some point and the o-rings started to go. It wasn't a year old. Since then I am more careful.

If you take care of your equipment and dive often, you will know when its starting to have a act up. i.e. Leaks, Breaths harder, freeflows or bypasses all the time, honks, squeeks, clicks etc. etc. etc. Then get it serviced. I also look at the inlet filter for ANY corrosion, a good sign your going to have a problem very soon.

I DON"T LET MY WIFE RINSE MY GEAR! She forgot the rinse cap once! OUCH! Caused the above mentioned probplem.

I rinse well after every dive and allow my gear to dry completely before hanging it in its closet. The BC is rinsed inside and out until I cannot taste salt in the water from the inside. As for the reg, I usually hang with the rinse cap holding a moisture muncher to the filter to pull any condensation out. Why, Seemed like a good idea.

i've just seen that the new atomic T2 the warrantee only requires servicing every 2 years. I haven't sent off my computer for testing in quite a while. Don't have any regs or a bc yet but I've seen the following rule of thumb before ... quite possibly on this site.

1 year or 100 dives which ever comes first.

I've met people who do more than 1000+ dives in a year so I guess just take them in for annual inspection and take a look at the pieces they took out and see whether or not they are worn to an extreme or not.

Then again when most of us were starting out we dove on rented gear....who knows how long it had been since it was serviced.

I personally stick with the manufacturers recommended service interval. I don't see any point in pushing my luck. I've worked on many regs that looked good as new after not being serviced for a long time and I've seen some that are only a year old that looked like crap. A lot of it has to do with how well you take care of it, where and what you dive in and other factors.

This question has been on my mind lately as I have increased my own time in the water quite a bit in the last year. I'm fortunate to be able to dive a variety of dive sites numerous times or at least once a week and want to know that my regulators are reliable at depth. The BC is pretty simple and I'm confident that it and the other items are fine based on my own observations, the regulators, however, are really the "heart" of the system and since I wouldn't know what I was looking at upon disassembly, or even know how to begin to break them down, I have to rely on qualified personnel. Annually last year I logged fifty something hours, have noticed nothing different about the performance of any of the regulators but still would appreciate that piece of mind (or at least have researched and done the all possible) so the equipment in mind is "reliable". The work that I do is measured in hours as is the service life of alot of the equipment I deal with, would it be simpler to say that well maintained, properly cared for equipment should be serviced measured by hours? (understanding that the annual inspection is conducted in addition to) If this sounds correct can anyone tell me what those hours are? Or, if I'm all wet (which I definately do not mind) let me know Thanx up front

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom