Gear Servicing - How Regular Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
If that is the rational, why not service twice a year? Or quarterly? Or monthly? After all, it is life support:confused:

Simple, the professionals who designed and sell the equipment recommend it. If they err on the side or caution or just want my $100 a year - fine with me. I'll take their recommendations. After years flying in the Air Force, I don't gamble or wait until something doesn't "feel right". Mean time between failure is not something I wish to deal with. I've lost friends to maintenance issues and am not planning on joining them anytime soon. It is a personal decision.

Have a great day and dive safe.

ScubaCrow:
Simple, the professionals who designed and sell the equipment recommend it. If they err on the side or caution or just want my $100 a year - fine with me. I'll take their recommendations. After years flying in the Air Force, I don't gamble or wait until something doesn't "feel right". Mean time between failure is not something I wish to deal with. I've lost friends to maintenance issues and am not planning on joining them anytime soon. It is a personal decision.

Have a great day and dive safe.

Some folks are happy to pay a lot more than that just for peace of mind. I find I get peace of mind by understanding my equipment; what can go wrong with it, how the chance of failure can be managed, the impact a failure may have, and how to deal with it. Regulators are a little different than aircraft. Since failure rates for regulators tend to increase right after a service, maybe you are more of a gambler than you realized. You get to be the test pilot for your newly serviced reg.

http://www.airspeedpress.com/newregbook.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom