Gear too heavy to walk on boat/climb ladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rivers, it's a little different in the states than Europe. In some service businesses, workers pay is low and they depend upon tips. I'm not sure about Bonaire, although nobody ever refused a tip from me in the Caribbean before. Also, the tip is usually given at the end of the day as a reward for service, not as an incentive up front, so most people who tip are giving a financial "thank-you" instead of a bribe for extra attention.

Born and raised in the States thanks, I know how it is. But, why should someone who needs a tiny bit of extra help be expected to tip an additional (and what was suggested was twice as much as a normal tip) amount? That is ludicrous, as it is part of the boat crew's job. It takes very little extra effort to pull a single tank set-up into a boat (i regularly pull a twinset up into a rib, and i'm 5'3 and 125lbs). At the end of the day/week, if the OP wants to give a bit extra because he feels the boat crew went above and beyond, that's fine and up to him. But he shouldn't have to pay it up front. A tip is to be earned, not expected. And i've worked in the service industry so I know how it is.

Why consider it a joke? The OP is asking for a bit of extra service and should show a bit of appreciation in the form of a tip. I am in the age bracket at 63 and last time in Cozumel I handed off my bcd/tank while in the water to make it easier to get up ladder. A crew member was always there to take it form me. Did I need to exit the water that way? No , I can still climb ladder with all my gear, but it did make it easier for myself.I fail to see what the big deal is in rewarding a crew member with a tip for the extra attention the OP wanted. I really dislike it when a crew member goes out of their way,even as much as to devote an entire dive to someone who obviously needs extra attention in the water and then is snubbed at the end of the outing by not even getting a tip or even a Thankyou.

Did the OP say they DIDN'T tip?

Maybe the OP was on the boat for several days and like me tips on the last dive not everyday.

Is it too much to ask that a crew member help someone who may have a problem without expecting a monetary reward?

You weren't there so how do you know if the OP tipped or not?

When dive instructors or Dive Masters have their hand out everytime they do something I would find another dive operation to dive with.

I'm almost 60 and have done one week in Bonaire. I can't walk safely to jump off point with all the heavy gear on because of an old neck injury. In Bonaire, some captains were fine with helping (letting me sit on boat edge and bringing me my gear, and also letting me take off my gear in the water and hand it to them before climbing the ladder), and others were resentful. I don't really understand the scuba culture and could use guidance on how to approach this. Am I asking too much? About to do a colder dive in Catalina and it will be even harder with more lead on. Thank you for your insights.

For a California dive, you'll definitely want to call ahead and ask, or arrange for a buddy who will help you. Most (if not all) California operators are of the "drive you to the site" nature.

Good luck!

It's not entirely clear to me how a neck injury precludes walking in gear that is hanging from your shoulders -- but I get the "gear too heavy to manage" thing. You're a relatively new diver, as I recall; it does get better. It's quite possible to build a tremendous amount of additional strength, even at our age. When I took my open water class, I could not climb out of the pool with an Al50 on my back. I now climb a couple of flights of ladder (not kidding) with double tanks. Slowly and carefully, but I do it. You can get stronger.

I often put my gear on in the water, even on some boat dives, and regularly hand it up before boarding, depending on the kind of boat involved and hoe deep the stairs go. I would add, be sure to tip appropriately for any special considerations. Most bosts will accommodate you, but you will have to get you gear to the shop or bot, but probably not your lead or tanks. ( I presume you are using their lead and air) . If there is an issue, you can ask others besides crew to assist. That's not impolite. Of course, it is their option whether to help you.
DivemasterDennisos

I've not heard of any before not allowing entrances/exits the way you described ie "sit on boat edge and bringing me my gear, and also letting me take off my gear in the water and hand it to them before climbing the ladder".......Sounds like you got ahold of a couple lazy outfits......I'd give their names right here & right now to let other
'oldies' know ---who they are......Tell this outfits 'sometimes the truth hurts'........:)

EDIT:..btw, I'm 62 & would love to know---this info........

EDIT 2......btw, again, you've almost described Little Cayman & Cayman Brac Beach Resorts ways of 'doing it'-----ie their 'Valet diving'

Wonder what this op does to accomodate the truly disabled?

TThe Divi Flamingo on Bonaire would've been my choice also - they mention their HSA involvement on their website. Another that recently hosted a group is Cap't Don's Habitat. One thing I'd look at also is the boat info on their websites - many have wide swim steps right on/above the water with good ladders. Others like Bonaire Dive/Adventure - while a good outfit, have smaller panga style boats that make it almost impossible for you to do anything but a backroll off the side. They will take your gear because they have side board ladders. On Bonaire, I found the boats at Toucan Divers to be easy access, they're lower, smaller and had good ladders/swim steps.

What was posted about your upcoming Catalina dive should be emphasized. Do not go there expecting assistance without prior arrangements. In many cases the captain drives the boat and the DM counts heads on/off - most of the time they don't get in the water. SoCal divers frequently bring their own gear - including tanks - and are very self-sufficient. So you'd want to make arrangements in advance - maybe even hire a private DM of your own and certainly reinforce with the captain/crew the extra assistance you requested at booking - they may not be aware of it.

One of the Ventura boats (Spectre? maybe somebody reading this knows) do offer a higher level of service - I've seen their DM's in the water helping people doff gear and re-board. Not sure if they dive Catalina though from there.

As you expand your diving, other places that I know of that do true Valet Service are:

Barefoot Divers on Roatan - really true valet diving as mentioned.
DiveBVI on Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands - they sat my friend down all week and brought her gear. Took it from her on every dive also.
Most of the better dive liveaboards offer that service also. Many will provide a DM free on every dive when asked.

I have a bad knee so I frequently remove my gear in the water and let them take it.

---------- Post added August 20th, 2014 at 10:56 AM ----------

Wonder what this op does to accomodate the truly disabled?
It's overall things. Handicapped compliant rooms, minimal steps on the property, hard paths between facilities. Once I've seen a boat backed up to the dock so they could use a carefully secured ramp to wheel several divers on board thru the wider open stern. Most of the dive crew has gone thru HSA compliant training. Divetech at Cobalt Coast (Grand Cayman) has a whole section on their website about it. Although oddly enough IIRC there were about 5-6 stairs from the shop down to the ramp leading to the dive dock there. They also board at a marina nearby so possibly they have a better setup there.

Last edited:
Good suggestion--I tipped but at the end of the week so they didn't know what to expect. There was a tip sharing deal there which confused me, but that can be their problem not mine.

---------- Post added August 20th, 2014 at 01:28 PM ----------

THank you for the helpful perspective on things from DM POV and ways to address.

---------- Post added August 20th, 2014 at 01:32 PM ----------

Thanks for the heads up!

Not sure what your size is, etc., but often female divers once they get dialed in use less air than many males. If that is the case you might be able to downsize your tank, at least some of the time, which can help a lot.

---------- Post added August 20th, 2014 at 01:35 PM ----------

Unless you have same crew every day, tipping at the end of the week may only reward who you dove with last. Depends on how they are set up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom