Gear too heavy to walk on boat/climb ladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to add that I am a firm believer of "Not everyone should be diving" some people don't have the necessary skillset,some don't have the mental capability,some don't have the physical capability,some are just too nervous and create a danger to themselves and others,I can go on but will stop now.

The diving culture varies from place to place. Before booking, do a little research, even call ahead and ask them. I've found the most customer oriented dive operations on Cayman Brac. Jack's Diving Locker in Hawaii is also very good. As you travel around, note what resorts/dive operations treat you the way you would like/need, and remember them. Check with other divers. If you don't know a lot of divers, check here on Scubaboard. Ask around about operations that are willing to be extra helpful.

Some divers don't like the help. They are the "pack your own parachute" type. I used to be that way until I went to the Divi Cayman Brac. They insisted on handling all my equipment. So I let them, then quietly inspected the result. I found everything was done exactly the way I would have done it. So, after that, I just relaxed and let them take care of me. It was great!

(Unfortunately, the Divi on Cayman Brac went out of business. But I've heard it was replaced by new management who still operate the same way. Check it out and see if that is true.)

Rich, I respectfully disagree. Better conditioning will almost always help with a prior injury. We aren't familiar with the OPs specific injury, but apparently it isn't debilitating, but it does require some "accommodation". Strengthening her shoulder, back and neck muscles will help to support her neck, and that has to help her...

I have a class 5 back myself and exercising core muscles makes all the difference for me but there is no safe way to build up neck muscles with a neck injury. I am not even sure how someone would go about building neck muscles. The shoulder and back muscles are too far removed from the effected area to provide much help. I would rather find a way to make it work safely then just give up but that is just me. I would also not want to tell veterans in the Wounded Warrior diving programs that they should quit diving and take up bridge. Some of those guys would kick my assets even if they didn't have legs. If these type of people do not meet your standards I would say that is a bad reflection on you not them but that is just my opinion.

A bit offside Rich Keller...I don't think Stoo would ever suggest that the wounded warrior program produces risky divers. He was simply trying to emphasize (as was I) that diving is a more physically demanding sport than some people assume. My wife works at Variety Village here in Toronto which is a fitness facility for people with special needs (both physical and mental) so I have seen first hand how people can overcome "obstacles" when they are motivated.

A bit offside Rich Keller...I don't think Stoo would ever suggest that the wounded warrior program produces risky divers. He was simply trying to emphasize (as was I) that diving is a more physically demanding sport than some people assume.

It's only as hard as you make it. If you plan a dive in conditions that you know will not exceed your capabilities, you don't need any "extra" physical capabilities.

This does limit things, but it's actually just planning dives as covered in the Solo class: Don't dive where you can't save your own bacon. While all water isn't predictable, a lot of water is, so if you know you're getting older or less capable or arthritic or bad joints, or whatever, it just means that you have to dive where it's good and safe for you to dive.

Everybody should be diving like this, but it wasn't until I took the Solo class that anybody ever actually plainly spelled it out to me.

You can either jump in whatever water interests you and hope you can handle it, or know what you're jumping into, and know you can handle it, and have a plan for when you can't.

flots.

I would like to add that I am a firm believer of "Not everyone should be diving" some people don't have the necessary skillset,some don't have the mental capability,some don't have the physical capability,some are just too nervous and create a danger to themselves and others,I can go on but will stop now.
So what do you think about these:
The International Association for Handicapped Divers(IAHD), Handicap Scuba Association(HSA) and how about diveability.org?
Scuba diving is a recreational sport!
I have seen dangerous skiers.
And I won't mention lousy car drivers.

A bit offside Rich Keller...I don't think Stoo would ever suggest that the wounded warrior program produces risky divers. He was simply trying to emphasize (as was I) that diving is a more physically demanding sport than some people assume. My wife works at Variety Village here in Toronto which is a fitness facility for people with special needs (both physical and mental) so I have seen first hand how people can overcome "obstacles" when they are motivated.

My point is that I see no difference between them wanting to do this only in how they came to the same basic place. She was just asking for advice on how to do it right and she is told to quit and learn to play bridge! What is wrong with you people?

It's only as hard as you make it. If you plan a dive in conditions that you know will not exceed your capabilities, you don't need any "extra" physical capabilities.

This is a sound plan, because nothing in the ocean or a large lake ever changes..... ;-)

Rich, I will defer to your knowledge of spinal injuries as it sounds like you unfortunately live with one. And as I said earlier, I don't (obviously) know anything about the OPs condition, so I am really speaking in generalities...

While not exactly a "wounded warrior", my main dive buddy, a guy I have been diving with for 35 years and with whom I have logged literally thousands of dives, had the misfortune of cutting off his hand when he was 17 years old. He's a tremendously comfortable diver, but there are many little things he can't do. Within reason, "we" (his buddies) do whatever we can to help him... I do up his harness, I attach his inflators, I strap his gauges on, help with his mask, and when he's finished, I literally haul is a$$ out of the water into my boat. I am very much aware that a diver with "limitations" can dive...

However, on one dive in lake Erie a few years ago (and we dive solo a lot) he and I were diving on a 180' deep wreck. I was in the boat, while he dove. (We were about 35 miles off shore, so wanted to have a tender in the boat). I noticed his bubbles didn't move around, but their frequency was normal). I was mostly suited up, and at the first sign that he was overdue, I'd have gone in after him. However, he started to ascend ahead of time. When he surfaced, he was holding his weight-belt in his hand. It had slipped off (not come undone... he's a larger dude, so not much waist) and he'd spent the entire dive with the thing around his ankles, trying to wrestle it back up. He finally gave up, and surfaced. A lesser diver might well have panicked and died...

My only point is that there are probably very few physical limitations that absolutely preclude someone's ability to dive, most of the time. But when things go wrong (and if you dive enough, sooner or later they will...) that "limitation" may very well have disastrous consequences.

This thread has sort of wondered from the original topic (imagine that), and has become more about diving with what... a "handicap" or at least a physical limitation. I agree that when everything goes according to plan, there is no reason why literally anyone can dive. But there will be times... and Rich, you have done a whack of diving, and if it's where I presume it is, you have to agree that conditions can and do change, and someone who has a "limitation" might end up in a situation that they didn't plan for. I think someone with some physical limitation needs to plan very conservative dives, and be prepared to call a dive when conditions aren't suitable. (My five-fingered friend will NOT dive in the St. Lawrence for example. The currents are too strong and he can't competently pull himself down the anchor line.)

Anyway, once again to the OP, I am not in any way saying don't dive. I am saying that "odds are" (deferring to the more knowledgeable Rich) a modest weight training, and a flexibility regiment will probably help her...

On the original question... in spite of being taken as a jerk here (I'm not, but I've seen a of people die diving over the years) I think it's quite reasonable to ask for help with your gear. But if you expect someone else to schlep your stuff, then you should take whatever steps you can to maintain your strength..

---------- Post added August 27th, 2014 at 11:34 PM ----------

My point is that I see no difference between them wanting to do this only in how they came to the same basic place. She was just asking for advice on how to do it right and she is told to quit and learn to play bridge! What is wrong with you people?

I suspect that the wife of the guy with the bad heart that died up here a couple of weeks ago wishes that someone had said... get fit, then dive.

As much as we all love diving, there comes a point where we all need to give it up. (And I'm not suggesting the OP should quit... only that she should make sure she takes whatever steps she can to maintain her strength and flexibility. If she is doing that, that's grand and she shouldn't hesitate to ask for a little help from the crew. On the other hand, if someone chooses not to look after themselves, but rather they expect the crew to do the grunt work, then perhaps they should reconsider....

Anyway, this is going in circles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom