Gen San, the Darkside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My guess is that they'll be using the surrounding ocean water to cool the turbines, which will raise the water temp in the area and in turn screw up the local marine ecosystem.

At least there'll be hot springs! That's good, right? right?

My guess is that they'll be using the surrounding ocean water to cool the turbines, which will raise the water temp in the area and in turn screw up the local marine ecosystem.

They usually use freshwater from a nearby river. This is partly recycled by the "cooling towers" that are part and parcel of powerplant design. The gas from coal burning is the major pollutant and is the one that is heating up the planet.

At least there'll be hot springs! That's good, right? right?

Absolutely not. If they dump the hot water, the volume will be enough to raise the temp of the surrounding waters; like accelerated el nino phenomenon.

Have you guys ever seen a coal mining town? or a cement factory town? Dont you notice how gray/black the surroundings AND the PEOPLE are?

KUPU, you've got the issues right

if they dont burn coal for power, they will use bunker fuel or diesel. is that cleaner than coal?
problem is, as long as demand for power keeps rising, mindanao will not be able to generate clean energy like hydro and solar power fast enough. clean energy needs bigger investments which need foreign capital which, in turn, are afraid to invest in that part of mindanao. so in the interim, coal and diesel plants will be put up to fill the supply gap until clean energy plants are eventually put up.
given the rising cost of imported fuel, government will turn to local coal which can now be used if new power plants are designed specifically to burn local coal. if there is not enough power, people will complain. if power is expensive, people will complain. so government will look for cheap and indigenous power sources.
i think it will be better if everyone bears on the local government and DENR so they do their jobs in ensuring the plants put up the necessary facilities to ensure the safety of the environment and the nearby residents. is that wishful thinking?

if they dont burn coal for power, they will use bunker fuel or diesel. is that cleaner than coal?
problem is, as long as demand for power keeps rising, mindanao will not be able to generate clean energy like hydro and solar power fast enough. clean energy needs bigger investments which need foreign capital which, in turn, are afraid to invest in that part of mindanao. so in the interim, coal and diesel plants will be put up to fill the supply gap until clean energy plants are eventually put up.
given the rising cost of imported fuel, government will turn to local coal which can now be used if new power plants are designed specifically to burn local coal. if there is not enough power, people will complain. if power is expensive, people will complain. so government will look for cheap and indigenous power sources.
i think it will be better if everyone bears on the local government and DENR so they do their jobs in ensuring the plants put up the necessary facilities to ensure the safety of the environment and the nearby residents. is that wishful thinking?

amen to that jigs!

...well i had to post something since i'm getting this nagging reminder on top of the board to do so.

maybe a Nuclear Plant in Mindanao? hmm a couple won't hurt:11::lotsalove:

that's an idea. then we will get tons of aid to get rid of it. like pakistan. or was that afghanistan?

I believe it was Iraq and North Korea? I dunno I only watch Nickelodeon News nowadays. And sometimes Entertainment Tonight when I want to spoil myself. Oh and Desperate Housewives - I keep rewinding and watching over and over again the part where they make fun of Filipino Doctors then cry myself to sleep about it.

Actually, if managed well, this maybe a solution to our current energy woes.

think of all the cool mutated critters you'll have... 3 headed mantis shrimmp... 2 foot long not so pygmy seahorses...:mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom