Gender divide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting that the banner ad on this page has a WOMAN representing Go Pro Utila, and their site has women promoting their program. You go, girls.

Greg, your correct about women divers outnumbering men in Japan.

Hard to complain though when your on a boat with 20 women in their 20s and all weigh about 35 kilos... :D

Hmmm, perhaps you could post also in the world's top dive sites thread :D

....speaking in a completely unscientific survey mode, about recreational diving (not tech diving) I'd say it's about 50/50 on average, based on my experience/observations at least.

Hello fellow Scuba Boarders and although the statistics provide us with some information it would be interesting to know just how many women divers are into the Tech / Cave realm verses just Rec. I hate to speculate but I wonder what the percentage would be? I know some pretty tough ladies who could put some men divers to shame. I am speaking of skill sets and serious determination and I know that no one is slamming anyone but it interests me as I have several close female friends as well as my wife who love to dive. Not just vacation Rec. stuff but the more advanced dives and environments. I think that one day the stats could balance depending on perception of stereo types. I love that my daughter has role models to follow in diving and appreciate the voices that have risen to the top in diving. Thank you ladies!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Socal has a pretty good mix of men and women....definitely more men, but there are lots of strong, independent women diving.

I also fall into that weird category of women who dive more (or are more into diving) than their significant others. That said, I'm perfectly happy diving with the guys or the girls....doesn't matter to me as long as they're fun and good buddies :D

I don't know about cold water diving being a turn off for women : I've met a lot of female divers, most of them being really skilled.

On most organized trips/charters I've been to, girls make up 30-40% of the group. As far as I know, a large proportion of them were drawn to diving by their relatives (dad, most commonly) and quite few by a SO.

I also failed at getting my own SO to like diving :|

I said sports. Field hockey is a game.

I think it was the Duke of Wellington who once said: "There are only three sports: hunting*, shooting and fishing. All the rest are but games."

* Hunting as in fox hunting.

:focus:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom