Gender Happiness

Who do you think is happier today?

• Women

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Men

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Both genders have equal feelings of happiness or unhappiness.

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Women seem to be pretty happy around me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only if i can include split fin users, and hose danglers woudl I consider it.

KWS, please create a thread and write your take on a group of divers on a boat representing rec, tec, DIR, rebreathers, sidemount, etc., enjoying the day! :)

Would certainly agree on the idea that many in Third World countries exhibit a high degree of contentedness and joy at least in youth (as lon as they have adequate food). I've seen subadults playing joiyfully in countries like Belize, the Philippines, etc. when their counterparts here in the States might be whining "I'm bored" instead.

I remember as a youth deriving great joy from being able to roam the as-of-yet undeveloped areas around my home catching baby rabbits, snakes, turtles, etc. Give me a butterfly net and I was pretty happy even if I was all alone.

Somewhat related...

I listened to a brief talk from Dr Andrew Weil on Big Think via FB today. He differentiated between happiness and contentment... contentment being internal versus happiness being dependent upon external 'stuff'... stuff ranging from cars to mates. He then stated something I saw quite clearly in the Philippines... people with less tend to be more content/happy than people in 1st world countries. (People were pretty jaded in Cuba when I was there a few years ago, so while I agree with him to some extent, it's not unanimous, obviously.)

FWIW, I think it's culture that trumps both gender and economics, although both play into culture.

How do we define happy? I'm happiest when I facing seas and my boat will carry me through. My passengers are not happy at this point. After I'm done beating them up, they are happy to come through the jetties, and I am happy that they are happy. I think that most of us define happy as when our tertiary needs are met. We have clean safe air, clean safe water, and shelter from the elements (our primary needs). Then when our secondary needs are met (adequate food supply, a mate, safety from roaming predators) we look towards our tertiary needs. Our tertiary fulfillment bring us "happiness", especially when the primary and secondary needs are automatic. Those who meet their tertiary needs by looking down on their neighbors are not happy individuals, but sad individuals indeed, because their "happiness" comes from outside influences. I alone am responsible for my happiness, and it comes from not having to worry about making the rent, where to get dinner, or where to find a little nooky.

I don't remember ever being unhappy. I've been scared, that doesn't make me happy, but it does remind me that I am alive. I don't remember ever being depressed, although I've been drunk more than once, and folks tell me alcohol is a depressant. I clearly remember making the decision as a young man that I was going to live my life on my terms, and think I've done a pretty fair job, except for that 8 year stint in the Navy.... :)

Reactions: Jax
Both sexes seem to be equally messed-up. People today don't seem to know what they want; other than they want it all. The problem is that you can't have it all; life is about choices.

Some people want children, but many don't want to raise them. They drop them off at Day Care and when they start to act badly they ask themselves why? How are kids taught your values unless you're around to teach them? Parenting is an investment and there is only a certain percentage that you can farm-out (not that this can't be done to a degree and in some cases this needs to be).

Many equate personal happiness to financial position. They work themselves to death, achieve a good living, but are unhappy. Happiness has more to do with balance than achievement. The question to ask is what does balance look like to you?

If I had to do it over again, I'd be home more and be less financially successful. I realize that you can't turn back the clock, so there are many things that I have to forgive myself for. The key is not to miss the meaning from the experience. Smile and be content.

I don't think happiness is a function of gender. I think it's a function of two things -- one is how willing you are to be happy, and the other is how much responsibility you're willing to take for creating your own happiness. Most of the unhappy people I know are either people who can find the dark cloud under any silver lining, or people who approach life in too passive a fashion, and let life happen to them instead of making it what they want.

I think this is very true. The best way to happiness is to take personal responsibility for your life. I know people who say "Everything will be fine if you (he)(she)(they) just do what I tell you (him)(her)(them)" and are never happy.

I voted both the same. It's hard to have a perspective when most people are one or the other.

Depends on what part of the world you live in …. thinking downtrodden females in places like Pakistan etc

I would guess that most women living in third world countries are not as happy as males in the same country …. difficult to estimate IMHO

I think its a very difficult thing to quantify in the context of this poll. Searcraigh and a few others have made mention of women's perceived level of happiness having a direct correlation to cultural norms - I bet the lady who is 8 months pregnant and sentenced to hang in Sudan is not happy. Then again neither is her husband who has to watch and is being caned for marrying a non muslim woman. I notice from friends in the US that gender issues are a hot topic for you guys. Aussies tend to be a lot more laid back....no need for hands off my ovaries placards here. You cant generalise and say it depends on the country being a NIC or a Developed Country - ask the women of Bhutan how happy they are. While far from a developed country as we would call it they have a king who measures gross national happiness not gross national product.
Everyone's view of what defines happiness is different. What makes me happy is not necessarily what makes you happy. I dont meaure happiness in toys, some do. I dont measure happiness by the size or state of my house, some do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom