Genealogy Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gecko2gecko

Reaction score
Hey everyone...I'm working on a project and could use some advice. Is there anyone around here that takes an interest in genealogy and family heritage? I am trying to find some info and have been highly unsuccessful. I was hoping maybe someone could offer good links and resources for me to find this. I have to trace down family tree back to 1865. I don't want to pay the exorbitant prices that some of the websites I have gone to are charging. Any help you could offer would be most appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Julie

My family on my maternal grandmother's side is traced all the way back to the times of Mary Queen of Scots! :11: My grandma did all this before the Internet was even thought of. :11: :11: I think she did it by looking at old family papers, diaries, and church or town records from various places and the historical society. When I was about ten she made me a little book with my immediate geneology and then back 7 or 8 generations to our colonist ancestors (you wouldn't beleive the pedigree I have :wink: ). It was good that she did that because now she has had a few strokes and he mind isn't as good. My aunt and great aunt continue to work on the project and my aunt and I may go to Ireland and Britain, me to have fun, her to look at old parish records and to photograph tomb stones from out ancestors.

I have an Ancestry.com membership and believe me, it's worth the price. It's a lot cheaper than having to travel to the courthouse in Podunk to search through old records. There is also familysearch.org that is free and you can search the 1880 census. The 1860 census is fairly complete. You may be able to Google County and State and find a transcription. If not, you can do a one month membership on Ancestry.com and see the images.

I traced one of my lines back to 1690. On another, I can't get past 1815. It's fairly easy to do a family tree to 1865. PM me if you have any specific questions.

I'm not sure how one gains access to it, but the Mormons have an incredible genealogical database put together.

the K

Call the local Mormon Church and see if they have a family history center nearyby you can visit. The people or tremendously helpful and know all the tricks to find your ancestors. Don't worry, you don't have to go to church or pay 10% for their help, as long as you make an effort they're happy to help.

If they were immigrants from Europe through NY, you can search for them at http://www.ellisisland.org/ Some of it is free.

I know the website www.familysearch.org is run by the Mormon church. (At least that is what the bottom of the site alludes to.) I've tried using it, but I just can't seem to locate the records I need in there. I am just spinning in circles really.

The Kraken:
I'm not sure how one gains access to it, but the Mormons have an incredible genealogical database put together.

the K

Familysearch.org is their website. They have the entire 1880 census indexed online and this is an extremely important one because the 1890 census was lost. It's also free to search.

The library in Salt Lake City has microfilmed about every public record in the US and many around the world. This is available on microfilm that you may borrow by going to your local Family History Center. You can learn more at their website www.familyhistory.org.

Most public libraries have copies of all US census records: 1790-1930. They are incomplete until about 1850, but you can find almost anyone after 1849.

The Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints owns Ancestry.com. There is a staggering number of records in the online database. You can also find cousins you didn't know existed who are looking for the same ancestors. Genealogy can be a lot of fun.

Sometimes, you have to go straight to the source. I shot digital photos of court dockets from Rowan County, NC in order to find the trail of one of my ancestors. It's kind of cool. I have a sample online here if anyone is interested in basic genealogy:

http://www.trexlersouth.net/

i have sent you a pm, my mother owns a genealogy business and will be more then happy to help you as i cleared it with her!! she wont except pay i am sure

My mother has been involved in tracing our ancestory for many decades. She has had many success and failures (more success than failures). She had good luck in contacting the Morman archives in Salt Lake City, Utah. Their archives are priceless. She also had great luck in Indianapolis, In. There is a large database of information there. Unfortunatelly I don't know the specifics of that information. I do know that my parents took several trips to Indy to do reasearch.

Did a quick search and found www.rootsweb.com which is supported by ancestory.com.

I am glad I wandered into this thread. I discovered a family member and sent them a little note saying Hi. It is amazing how small the world is that we inhabit.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom