Question Genesis DPV - rig for nose clipping/towing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How does one best rig a Genesis so that you can clip the nose to something? Like, maybe for towing it?

I've used my BlackTip and a Magnus. Those both have some kind of hard handle on the nose, so a short, braided, paracord leash with a bolt snap easily attaches and then can be used for such things.

The Genesis has no such handle on the nose. It does have a soft strap handle just a bit aft of the nose. But, that doesn't seem like it would make for a very clean spot for a tow leash.

Suggestions?

This was my only grip about the Genesis.

When I first got me scooter I was in a hurry to get it setup I ended up cutting up some old 1” webbing from out of the pile of destroyed beyond repair rental BCD‘s and ran it through the front nose hose clamp with a bolt snap through it and double backed itself on some triglides just in case it slipped through the hose clamp. Had plans to change this out to something a little more professional looking and permanent but never got around to it and now a couple years have gone by and it still works great. I pick it up form this and everything, no issues.

Sorry I would take some better pictures but I am traveling and my Scooter is literally is a completely different country. But I did find some random pictures on my phone that have my scooter in them so if you zoom in you can kind of see what I am talking about.

Hope this helps

1693782247925.jpeg

1693782083726.jpeg

How is that different from the carrying strap that is already in that spot? I would think a double-ender on the carrying strap would do the same thing. I clip my tow line in the same way you do as well (to the carry strap).

This was my only grip about the Genesis.

When I first got me scooter I was in a hurry to get it setup I ended up cutting up some old 1” webbing from out of the pile of destroyed beyond repair rental BCD‘s and ran it through the front nose hose clamp with a bolt snap through it and double backed itself on some triglides just in case it slipped through the hose clamp. Had plans to change this out to something a little more professional looking and permanent but never got around to it and now a couple years have gone by and it still works great. I pick it up form this and everything, no issues.

Sorry I would take some better pictures but I am traveling and my Scooter is literally is a completely different country. But I did find some random pictures on my phone that have my scooter in them so if you zoom in you can kind of see what I am talking about.

Hope this helps

Thanks. I see what you did there. That'll work. But, I'm hoping I can figure out something that is a little more ... elegant?

Hmmm... Maybe I'll just add 2 of these under the hose clamp. Then I can use paracord to add a loop on one side and a braided leash with a bolt snap on the other. Hmmmm....

Thanks for the inspiration!

1693791233684.png

How does one best rig a Genesis so that you can clip the nose to something? Like, maybe for towing it?

I've used my BlackTip and a Magnus. Those both have some kind of hard handle on the nose, so a short, braided, paracord leash with a bolt snap easily attaches and then can be used for such things.

The Genesis has no such handle on the nose. It does have a soft strap handle just a bit aft of the nose. But, that doesn't seem like it would make for a very clean spot for a tow leash.

Suggestions?
Dumb question... why would you tow it? Unless you have 2 and you're riding your primary Genesis :D

I clip a long double-ender to the nose strap and it goes on my butt dring just fine. You can also lengthen the tow cord with the slider knot, pass it through the nose strap and clip that to your butt for a couple extra cms of room. You don't really need to add do-dads

Dumb question... why would you tow it? Unless you have 2 and you're riding your primary Genesis :D

I clip a long double-ender to the nose strap and it goes on my butt dring just fine. You can also lengthen the tow cord with the slider knot, pass it through the nose strap and clip that to your butt for a couple extra cms of room. You don't really need to add do-dads

I threw towing out there just as an example, unlikely as it may be, because it was easier to explain.

The real use I envision is similar to how I have been using my BlackTip. Sometimes, I want to just be still. That might be while just hanging on a line during deco, or something else. During those times, I often don't want to have to hold my scooter and I also don't want it just floating near me as it usually ends up gradually floating somewhere annoying or slowly turning and wrapping the tow cord around something.

So, when I'm just wanting to "be still", I'll clip the nose leash to either my right waist D-ring or my right chest D-ring. That keeps it well-controlled and out of the way.

I wasn't thinking of using a double-ender on the strap on the Genesis because the strap doesn't really extend very much past the end of the nose. So, if I used a double-ender and clipped it to my chest D-ring, the scooter nose would be too close and in my way. The leash on the nose of my BlackTip is just over a hand width long and it works great for what I want it to do.

I do kinda like that idea of running the tow cord through the nose strap. I might try that. I generally try to avoid ever unclipping the tow cord from my tow ring. But, I guess that is really unfounded paranoia. Thanks for that suggestion!

ps. I wish!!

SubSea Propulsion is installing the Annok collar and leash system on all new build DPVs they will also sell it as a service part.
I dont know if it will work for you but its an option.

Attachments

• 20230719_143802.jpg
    20230719_143802.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230719_143807.jpg
    20230719_143807.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 78
go old school style the way we had to rig them with Gavin and UV series. Basically it's the lower attachment point from a sidemount cylinder up on the nose. Big worm gear, some tubular webbing, and cord with a bolt snap on it. Set the length and clocking for towing as well as clipping off to the carry handle.
You can also make a prusik loop and put that through the carry handle if you're going to be towing it for a long period of time between your legs. If it's for temporary storage then I usually use a double ender for carry handle to a shoulder or hip d-ring with my UV's and one of my Vipers that doesn't have a carry handle in the nose.

SubSea Propulsion is installing the Annok collar and leash system on all new build DPVs they will also sell it as a service part.
I dont know if it will work for you but its an option.

I did some googling and I could not find any info about any of that.

But, that is okay. That is very similar in concept to what I was thinking about doing with the piece of hardware I showed an image of in my previous post. If I decide to go further with adding a leash, I'll probably just use a couple of those (in the picture I posted). Bonus: They only cost $1 each.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom