Geographically Challanged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onfloat:
And I thought it was funny that it started in Utah.
Actually, Harland Sanders originally served his wares from a roadside service station in Corbin, Kentucky.

Interesting that the KFC bio does not mention that he later said, regarding the quality of food served in the franchises "...is not good enough to feed to my dogs."

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
they should change their name to "Kentucky Awesome Instant Mashed Potatoes With Gravy"

"I hated the Colonel with his wee, beady eyes and that smug look on his face. 'Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken, ohhhh!'"

From "So I Married an Axe Murderer"

Nomad said:
I was just commenting on the irony of using a song about Alabama, to sell food that is supposedly from Kentucky.

Well, silly me. And I thought the irony of the matter was that KFC would use a racially charged lyric to market a fried chicken product to African Americans. There I go, over reacting again.

Steve

My interpretation of the two songs that Neil Young wrote that were scoffed was that he was condemning all "southern men" or the south in general, notably Alabama. Not all southerners are KKK and not all hate blacks or owned slaves. Neil went overboard in his idealogical songs and pissed some people off. If I lived 5 miles south of where I was from, I'd have been born a "southerner" by Civil War standards, and Neil can stuff it if he's going to try to lay blame on me for what happened hundreds of years ago. Skynyrd rocks. They were party animals...but what rock band of the 70s wasn't? And I hear it as, "a southern man don't need HIM around anyhow....". I think the song is about a bunch of boys who love their home. "Now Mussel Shoals has got the Swampers...they been known to pick a song or two..Lord they get me off so much...they pick me up when I'm feelin' blue..."

Steve Egner:
There I go, over reacting again...

I was gonna make a comment about the irony of a Canadian trying to explain Southern Rock to a Texan, but I decided I better not. You might not think that is as funny as I do...

So... How 'bout that BTO...?

:D

FWIW, I'm not sure why you insist that KFC is being marketed only to African Americans. I didn't see any racial specific information in the ad.

Jcsgt:
Hey, I hear if you play it backward, the lyrics say, "I'm the devil, I'm the devil".
LOL

:lol:

Especially that guitar riff. It throws me into a murderous rage that causes me to hit the "mute" button rather forcefully.

"Don't make me angry, KFC. You won't like me when I'm angry..." LOL

(and I've always thought Neil Young was crap. Ditto for KFC. Oh well...)

Well, I did like their biscuits. But I'm a Yankee. What do I know?

BTW, did a google search of the lyrics and all that I've seen say "him" not "them"

Also, I think the most ludicrous music picked for a commerical was Fortunate Son for (I think) Old Navy from a couple of years ago. Second most silly was Dust in the Wind for some car commercial.

Back
Top Bottom