Geographically Challanged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nomad:
I was gonna make a comment about the irony of a Canadian trying to explain Southern Rock to a Texan, but I decided I better not. You might not think that is as funny as I do....

hahaaaaa. i think its funny.:lol:

Hank49:
It's hard to get three guitars together and play Sweet Home just like they did. I know it was done in a studio but still.....What a solid sound. ahhhh.... the 70s. :D

oh man, tell me about it... SHA is, i believe, their best song, from an artistic
perspective. i still have no clue what it means ...

(Freebird, on the other hand, is crap, utter, total, junkie, freebase crap)

:D

Hey Nomad, I just read this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Egner
There I go, over reacting again...

I was gonna make a comment about the irony of a Canadian trying to explain Southern Rock to a Texan, but I decided I better not. You might not think that is as funny as I do...

So... How 'bout that BTO...?

FWIW, I'm not sure why you insist that KFC is being marketed only to African Americans. I didn't see any racial specific information in the ad.

Just a good-natured clarification or two here. First, for the geographically challenged, Edmonds, WA, is a member of the lower 48 here in the USA. I am not Canadian. In fact (more irony here, so you'll enjoy this) I'm a relocated Texan, having moved here from Austin in '86.

I haven't insisted anywhere in this thread that KFC "marketed only to African Americans". There are African Americans in the commercial you mentioned, and I was struck by the choice of background music the first time I saw the ad, months ago.

I stand corrected on my quote of the lyric in SHA, "a southern man don't need HIM around anyhow" is apparently what was written. Plenty of context remains, and has been previously covered, to make this song a poor choice for the background of this particular commercial.

I'm going to pop this topic on a few friends of mine, even an African American or two. This thread sparked some interesting discussion.

Steve

Steve Egner:
for the geographically challenged, Edmonds, WA, is a member of the lower 48 here in the USA. I am not Canadian. In fact (more irony here, so you'll enjoy this) I'm a relocated Texan, having moved here from Austin in '86.

Oops, my bad. I musta read that wrong. I thought I saw Edmonton the other day. Hmmm. Wasn't Jimi Hendrix originally from Washington?

BTW, everybody in Texas knows that people from Austin aren't REALLY Texans... :D

Wasn't Jimi Hendrix originally from Washington?

Yup. He still gets a lot of air time up here. I mostly enjoy JH to study his influence on another Texan, Stevie Ray Vaughn. SRV and Double Trouble were regulars at the roadhouses when I left, with a $5 cover at most.

BTW, everybody in Texas knows that people from Austin aren't REALLY Texans...

:huh: No kidding? I'll be in Abilene for a few days in June, so I'll ask around to see what they think. When I moved here, I broke down about 10 miles outside Abilene. I unstrapped my road bike from the back of my Alfa, and rode into town. I found a general store of some kind, with 3 old fellows in rocking chairs on the porch, just enjoying the early morning sun. I asked, "Can you tell me where the nearest Alfa Romeo dealer is?" One looked at another, then back at me, and said, "Alfa RoDeo?"

I knew I was doomed. They evidently didn't think I was Texan either. :11:

Steve

On the topic of Jimi - if you are ever in Seattle spend some time in the Rock & Roll museum - they have a huge Hendrix collection. The museum is skewed a bit to the late 60's and early 70's but the display on the evolution of the electric guitar and the origins of blues is worth the price of admission. (and the late 60's early 70's is my musical decade:D ) The sound system in the entrance hall is excellent - they were playing one of the early Santana albums while I was there - spent a good 20 minutes just standing in the middle of the hall listening.

Spent about 6 hours, could have spent another four or five, but had to leave for the drive home.

I went to the Experience Music Project about 3 years ago when I was in Seattle. It's an incredible place.

Nomad:
I was gonna make a comment about the irony of a Canadian trying to explain Southern Rock to a Texan, but I decided I better not.

Neil Young is Canadian; so...

Back
Top Bottom