getting fills question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaredneck once bubbled...
the tank is not O2 clean anymore and can't carry EANx untill it is recleaned.

Pug replied:

That isn't the case.

Would you mind explaining how you can put non-O2 compatible air into an O2 cleaned tank and then later get an EANx fill without re-cleaning the tank?

:confused:

Would you mind explaining how you can put non-O2 compatible air into an O2 cleaned tank and then later get an EANx fill without re-cleaning the tank?

The way I do it is - get an airfill, go diving, then take the tanks back into the shop and say, "32% please"...

which was two years ago....

However, I believe that the tank only has to be o2 clean if you are diving an EANx mix > 40%...or if you are going to be doing partial pressure filling.....

I'm not certain...I'm sure UP will let you know....

O-ring once bubbled...

The way I do it is - get an airfill, go diving, then take the tanks back into the shop and say, "32% please"...

O-ring...you seriously need help...had I been drinking something...it would have been on the screen....

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Cheapest EAN fill in the Midwest is 12 bucks...and that's with the preferred customer discount.....

No way. I'm in the midwest and I don't charge that much. I think Gilboa is only 10 bucks also.

Gotta agree with redneck on this one. My experiences and classes, I am a blender by the way, is that if I don't put clean or 02 air in the the tank is no longer "clean" and should not be filled using partial pressure. Banked EAN, that's a different matter, but I don't have banked EAN. If you know something we don't Uncle Pug I'd love to know about it.(serious statement not a smarta__ one.) Thanks

For all scuba equipment, there is a 40% rule. If the piece of gear doesn't come into contact with gas containing greater than 40% O2, then no special equipment/cleaning/procedure is needed. If the gear does come into contact with any gas with greater than 40% O2, then it needs to be "O2 clean".

Technically, pre-mixed EANx of 40% or lower PO2 can be pumped into a non-"O2 clean" tank with no fear. There are usually laws and local regulations however so that EANx of other than 21% can't be put into non-marked tanks for safety sake, don't want someone unknowingly grabbing a hypo/hyper oxic mix and dying because they used it at an improper depth.

Partial Pressure mixing of Nitrox of any final PO2 can only be done into "O2 Clean" gear since at some point the gear will contact O2 at potentially greater than 40% O2.

All Nitrox tanks needs to have an "O2 clean" certification that is actually valid so that a Nitrox fill station can be assured that they can use whatever procedures they normally use, partial pressure mixing/premix/whatever safely.

Filling an "O2 clean" tank with "O2 compatable" or "hyperfiltered air" is permissable and should not void any "O2 clean" certification as it contains no more contaminants than EANx has. I haven't taken the mix course yet, but from what I remember from my Nitrox classes, the IANTD Nitrox manual and the SSI Nitrox manual both specificly mention that it is an acceptable practice. Non "O2 compatable" air is also specificly mentioned as not acceptable fills for a Nitrox tank. All the Nitrox label means is that you need to have the contents analysed and verified before use.

Taking any scuba tank, let alone an O2 clean Nitrox tank to a facility that you do not know uses hyperfiltered air and ask for an "air fill" without requesting to see their air quality testing certificate IS a foolish thing to do, for all you know they are using a rusty greasy bicycle pump manned by a Herculean muscleman. Heck, I have on occasion even asked for and have been shown the compressor/fill station/storage tank area.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

O-ring...you seriously need help...had I been drinking something...it would have been on the screen....
Maybe they bank 40% though...

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Actually I know folks who are nitrox certified but chose to dive air on occassion using their nitrox wrapped tanks.
This would describe me.

My LDS has three different standards for tank cleanliness - air, oxygen-compatible (<40%), and oxygen-clean. Last time I had my tank hydro'd, it was made oxygen-compatible, as this allows me to buy banked EAN from that particular LDS. It's never partial-pressure filled with pure O2.

I have no qualms about getting this tank filled from any scuba shop or dive boat in Monterey. My LDS is going to rebuild the valve each year as part of the "oxygen-compatible " rating, and with the amount of diving I'm doing (50ish dives a year), I'm not particularly concerned that the valve is going to fill up with oil or hydrocarbons or whatever other fuel is going to find it's way in there, and cause a fire hazard. When I turn a valve on, it's a gradual thing - I'm listening for failed seals or o-rings on the hoses and first stage, so there's no massive slug of compressed air smashing into the first stage (which is where the danger lies). And the LDS' nitrox fill whip certainly isn't O2 clean - that valve is slowly getting dirty if I like it or not. I just don't see the point in spending $10 for an EAN fill, if I can get a $5 air fill, if it's a 45' weenie Breakwater dive.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

No way. I'm in the midwest and I don't charge that much. I think Gilboa is only 10 bucks also.

I could swear gilboa was 15 for EANx <= 40 and 20 bucks for something else.....anyway....that's besides the point

Where is your shop at in Indiana....the closest place to Dayton for me to get Nitrox for 12 bucks is Diver's Supply Indy West...only last year did one LDS in dayton buy a membrane compressor, and he's 15 with my WSU discount.

Back
Top Bottom