Getting into "dive" shape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think that would affect the quads. You really should do calf raises and the shin exercises, since it must be a relative weakness for you.

Isn’t there a GUE book dedicated to working out related to diving? I feel like I remember seeing one.

Thanks for all the tips!

Just one thing to reiterate--I'm not looking for overall getting into shape (I'm doing ok with that), it's just getting over dive-specific sore muscles. I try (and fail) to do the same with ski trips, usually I have a great first day but spend the rest of the trip with incredible sore calfs, shins, etc.
Are you a member of DAN? I believe there's a regular column in each issue of their magazine, Alert Diver, on exercises one can do to improve muscular fitness.

The only thing I have found that reliably reduces muscle soreness after diving (as well as leg cramps during diving) is diving more frequently. After a 1-week trip, I'm sore, but after a 2-week trip, I'm better. I think you're right that there are small muscles we use in diving that don't get worked out very much in daily life.

I find that the Cornish pasties and biscuits served at the interval get me really quick into that “diving shape”. 😂

More seriously, you probably want to incorporate more swimming as people suggested.

I find that the Cornish pasties and biscuits served at the interval get me really quick into that “diving shape”

Isn't that more of a round shape?

Novice Cold Water New England Diver Here
  • First I wanted to say I love the premise of this thread.
  • I struggle with maintaining low body fat percentage. My stats: Male, 5'7", 176 lbs, 15% body fat
  • My usual fitness routine is 6 days a week at the gym doing push, pull, legs. I really like this because its easy for me to keep my routine consistent (I'm never out of the gym long enough to not want to go back lol).
  • March through October I dive 2 - 3 times a week/ Nov through Feb 1 x week
  • During the off season 1x week diving my conditioning and body fat levels get dialed in but when May through October come around I tend to just dive every good weather window and neglect my conditioning when that happens I start to lose a little motivation to keep my calories at maintenance level and my abs start try to hide
Dry suit is due back from DUI in 2 weeks so I am writing a new training split to accommodate diving 2- 3 x week. I am hoping for thoughts and feedback from any veterans out there.
The following are my thoughts for March through October:
  • Monday
    • Deadlift 3 x 5
    • Press 3 x 5
    • Bench 3 x 5
    • 20 min cardio
  • Tuesday
    • 1-2 Tank Morning shore dives (if canceled due to weather 30 min cardio)
  • Wednesday
    • Front Squat 3 x 8-12
    • Pull Ups 4 x 8-12
    • Dips 4 x 8-12
    • 20 min cardio
  • Thursday
    • 1 Tank Afternoon/Night dive (if canceled due to weather 30min cardio)
  • Friday
    • Back Squat 3 x 5
    • Barbell Bent Row 3 x 8-12
    • Cable Flys 3 x 8-12 (3 sets each from all three positions)
    • 20 min cardio
  • Saturday
    • 2 Tank Boat Dive (if canceled due to weather 30 min cardio)
  • Sunday
    • Rest Day
Training Goals
  • Maintain confidence and pride in my appearance which sustains my discipline for a healthy, calorie controlled diet
  • Tree trunk legs to shore dive back mount double steel 100s
  • Good aerobic conditioning so I am not out of breath during difficult shore entries
  • Well developed shoulders, chest & upper back
  • Keep busy so unhealthy lifestyle habits do not creep in
Thanks,
Rob

Back
Top Bottom