Getting Ready for GCM: 4/21-4/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thakroz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm very excited for my first trip to Grand Cayman. Well, I've visited while on a cruise ship about a year and a half ago, but I won't even pretend that counts. I will be travelling with my family and my parents. They bought a used timeshare last year at Morritts Tortuga Club, and we'll be staying there and diving with Tortuga Divers. I can't even begin to explain my excitement as this will be my first scuba trip in years.

If anyone has any recommendations for dive sites or just cool low-key places on the island, please share. We plan to dive four days, and also take some time to explore the island. I'm an instructor and I plan to certify my wife with her AOW. She has about ten dives and is excited to (maybe) double that.

Assuming I have WiFi at the hotel, I'd love to post some updates while I'm there.

Morritt's is relaxing. Wi-if is expensive there, but there are several places on the island that offer it for free. Over the Edge restaurant in Old Man Bay and Compass Point in East End are the closest. Tortuga Divers will take you to some of the best sites on GC. I have never dived with them, having always chosen Ocean Frontiers, however, I've heard they have stepped things up considerably recently. The rumor I heard this past week was that Red Sail will be out of scuba ops by year's end. Enjoy your trip!

Near where you are staying are these views:
DSC_0662.jpg

DSC_0672.jpg

DSC_0688.jpg

DSC_0686.jpg

Thanks releck!

I asked my father, and he is paying for the wifi while we are there so he can stay connected to his business via email.

You mention Red Sail will be out of Scuba Ops, and I'm assuming this is the same or sister company as Tortuga Divers? Any rumors on who would take over the dive shop by Morritts?

I was also wondering if they rent tanks so I could take my wife out right in front of the hotel for a quick refresher prior to our first dive. Does anyone know if this is possible?

---------- Post added April 6th, 2013 at 03:07 PM ----------

Nice Pics. I'm starting to think a week won't be nearly enough time. Then again, I'm not sure a month would suffice either.
Hopefully I'll be able to make this a yearly trip.

Red Sail doesn't rent out tanks for shore diving at Morritt's. The operation they had at Rum Point did in the past did but they had quit also. There's a good shore dive at The Queens Monument on the north side that you can get to The Babylon from so we used to rent from them. I think Oceans Frontiers still rents out tanks but if not the scuba shops in George Town still do. It doesn't get very deep all the way out to the barrier reef and you can just snorkel. There's a little current and we walk down the beach and drift back to the Morritt's pier and there's usually something hiding in the turtle grass.
When we stay there we usually do a few dives with Ocean Frontiers and do most of the rest as, much cheaper, shore dives on the west side of the island. Sunset House, Compass Point, Eden Rock and Cobalt Coast. I'm sure all this has been mentioned before on this site.
You say that your family bought a Morritt's resale so they may be interested in the Morritts Tortuga and Grand Resorts Forum Forums forum.
.....Red Sail going out of business would be big news.

Ramblin Rod

A good shore dive easy to get to is at Eden Rock Dive shop. It seems odd that such a good site is so close to Georgetown and where the cruise ships anchor but there are two really good sites accessible from the Eden Rock dive shop; Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto. Google them and you can see pictures of what awaits you. Just pull up to the dive shop, park in their lot and rent cylinders/lockers right there. Pretty inexpensive 2 tank dive if you own your equipment and only need cylinders.

Last edited:
Red Sail doesn't rent out tanks for shore diving at Morritt's. The operation they had at Rum Point did in the past did but they had quit also. There's a good shore dive at The Queens Monument on the north side that you can get to The Babylon from so we used to rent from them. I think Oceans Frontiers still rents out tanks but if not the scuba shops in George Town still do. It doesn't get very deep all the way out to the barrier reef and you can just snorkel. There's a little current and we walk down the beach and drift back to the Morritt's pier and there's usually something hiding in the turtle grass.
When we stay there we usually do a few dives with Ocean Frontiers and do most of the rest as, much cheaper, shore dives on the west side of the island. Sunset House, Compass Point, Eden Rock and Cobalt Coast. I'm sure all this has been mentioned before on this site.
You say that your family bought a Morritt's resale so they may be interested in the Morritts Tortuga and Grand Resorts Forum Forums forum.
.....Red Sail going out of business would be big news.

Ramblin Rod
by no means are they going oit of business, just getting out of dive ops so I've been told

A good shore dive easy to get to is at Eden Rock Dive shop. It seems odd that such a good site is so close to Georgetown and where the cruise ships anchor but there are two reall god site accessible from the Eden Rock dive shop; Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto. Google them and you can see pictures of what awaits you. Just pull up to the dive shop, park in their lot and rent cylinders/lockers right there. Pretty inexpensive 2 tank dive if you own your equipment and only need cylinders.

I agree, great dives especially when the silversides are in!

Silversides.png

If you want to save a bunch of money, you can shore dive from the southwest all the way up to cobalt coast.

As far as renting tanks and taking them off site, the only place I know of that does this is Divers Supply off SMB (in the Chicken Chicken parking lot). I also recommend Chicken Chicken as a cheap but tasty place to eat.

Head to MyBar at Sunset House for a relaxed divers hangout. Try to do a night dive there as well.

Definitely hit up Turtle Reef. Sundivers is the shop there and Ollen is as cool as they get.

These places are all on the west side, where some day the diving isn't as good. But, I prefer shore diving and the facilities at all of these make it so easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom