Getting smoke smell out of wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki:
Have you tried "Sink the Stink". I bought a suit from a shop were the guys obviously hung around smoking the back room or around the door/stock room because when I got home I noticed the brand new suit smelled of smoke. I'd did not notice the smell in shop because I tried it on on the back where it smelled of smoke, period!

I do not know if my problem was as serious (long-term exposure) as yours but I sank the suit into a tub with Sink the Sink juice, kept it there overnight, and after it dried all the smell was gone

I have this feeling it's an american thing. I kinda used all my money on the suit so I need a price-consciuos option. How much is it?

Knife:
Hi,

I recently bought my first wetsuit 2nd hand off ebay. Suit is in perfect condition, but it appears the previous owned is a quite heavy smoker..... you could smell the smoke outside the box it came in :eek:

I've searched this board for ways to get smoke smell out but only seen 1 method, using distilled malt vinegar with suit shampoo, but it gave no guidelines for how much vinegar to use with how much shampoo.

Can anyone help me with that? or with an alternate method?

Thanks

Ever thought about just diving with it?
I'd be quite surprised if the smell was still there after a few dives & post dive rinses.
Or did you buy it just because you like rubber? :wink:

Ok, my findings.

After 2 soda crystal washes and 1 fabric conditioner wash (adding 2 capfulls (50 ml) to 1/4-1/3 bathfull of water) my suit has lost about 95% of its odour.

The hood smells like fabric conditioner. The full suit only smells a little (1/2 conditioner, 1/2 smoke) at the hands and around the neck, and the shorty suit smells in the same sort of areas (arms and neck)

I think a repetition of the conditioner stage for maybe 3-4 hours would get rid of it all :)

miketsp:
Ever thought about just diving with it?
I'd be quite surprised if the smell was still there after a few dives & post dive rinses.
Or did you buy it just because you like rubber? :wink:

The only problem with that is that I did my Open water diver course on holiday (about 2 weeks ago) and I happen to live in 1 of the 2 futhest places from water in the UK. There arent too many local clubs around and until I have car insurance I can't really dive anywhere.

I'm coming to florida in about 4 weeks and I plan to do some dives towards my advanced while I'm there and I wanted my own suit because rental suits both smell and dont really fit me too well (bit tight around the crotch :11: )

So for the moment, I can't dive it :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom