Getting the wife to dive - Toronto ON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the great sugestions! Let me tell you more about the situation. We already went snorkling a few times i.e. cozumel, dominican rep. etc. She really enjoys that quite a bit. She just has the kind of personality that is reluctant to try new things. ... so I want this to be a favourable experience from the start.
My plan is to do as you guys suggested. Pool and classroom here in Toronto and then a referral for Cozumel.
My sister did a course here in Toronto at one unamed dive shop and they were really pushy and did not want to spend time with students ... she has not even done her open water dives after that experience. This is what I want to avoid.

Here's my 0.02

I started taking a NAUI OW course many years ago with the Hart House Underwater club (U of T) but never finished. The instructors were excellent.

Finally got certified with PADI a couple of years ago at a local shop that is now out of business (Upper Canada Scuba). The experience left a lot to be desired.

Earlier this year I did my Rescue cert with Water Sports on Yonge Street and I'm now a Divemaster candidate there. I've had the opportunity to assist 3 or 4 different instructors working the OW course and they are all very qualified and patient.

Hope this helps.

Jens

Find out if any of your local dive shops have a scuba club. This will put both of you with like-minded individuals -- some with loads of experience, some newbies like her. This could take the pressure off both of you to live up to uneven expectations. This could also give you some new diving buddies, for those times when three dives a day are too much for your regular buddy.
Setting personal goals (rather than just supplying you with a convenient diving partner) will make a world of difference in her learning curve.

I am a Padi Instructor recently retired from my day job and instructing out of my home near Picton. It sounds like your wife would be better with private or semi-private instruction. Many dive centres require a minimum number of students to justify instructor, divemaster and pool fees. Although almost anyone with effort can do the class and pool stuff and still not be ready for O/W especially in Ontario with the cold, poor vis and probably poor fitting rental wetsuit. If your wife (not you) want to continue with a certification path, I suggest you do the class & confines (may take more than 4) in Ontario and open water dives via referral to a Padi IDC centre down south. I would highly recommend Habitat Curacao.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom