Getting to Komodo with heavy video equip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, I only weigh 53kg, so I wonder if they will just wave me through even if I have over weight baggage because my total weight will surely be less than most other people?

We were all weighed on a set of scales and then again with our baggage. our weight seemed to be totalled up and then scribbled down on a list. i heard they like to put heavy people at the back of the plane to aid with take off hahahaha although i doubt thats true..

Last edited:
Hi Layla,

I work out there on Komodo Dancer, in the UK at the moment.

Yes the hold luggage is 20 kg. With the hand luggage, I am not 100 % what the "rules" are, they change almost weekly. That said, go local. On international trips we are used to fairly strict cabin luggage rules, however these don't apply in Indo. Most locals will take a couple of bits of cabin luggage and as long as they aren't huge and obviously heavy then they normally don't get checked.

So, if your worried about excess put your heavy stuff in hand luggage.

A warning to all, if you are in "discussion" with any locals, especially officials and you want something, don't raise your voice. The Indonesian people are amazing people and raising your voice to them shows a lack of respect for them and yourself. Rule of thumb, you shout you lose.

They have a system there that is very different to what most of us are used to, your not going to change it and the best advice is go with the flow, you might not achieve anymore but at least your not going to get stressed not achieving it ;-)

Bali airport can feel a little oppressive and there more than anywhere the locals have learnt how to "play" westerners, this, I believe, has a lot to do with how they are treated by tourists and ex-pats.

I'm in London at the moment
Flying out on March 7th

Just weighed my stuff ... again, 38kg
I may have to 'wear' my camera lens' and strobes as I go through the official bits

I'm not capable of raising my voice ... I'm too shy + quiet :wink:
I'm Indian by origin so maybe I'll blend in a little

Hi Layla,I work out there on Komodo Dancer, in the UK at the moment.

Layla I was able to take two carry-on pieces into the cabin (100% camera equipment, 1 likely heavier than 7 kg). But in my experience this depends on the size of the luggage, how much luggage other passengers are carrying on, who is checking you in, how discreet one is, as well as luck. I have always felt politeness is an asset. I would not call attention to the 2nd piece, but be prepared to explain it is all fragile photography equipment if you are questioned.

Here is what my LOB told me about luggage at the time -- I would definitely ask your LOB directly for the latest:

The individual luggage allowance on these flights is 44lb (20kg) per person. Luggage in excess of this weight is charged at a per kg, per segment rate determined by the particular airline being used. However, please be advised there is no guarantee that any excess luggage (especially that above 45kg) will actually travel on the same flight as the guest.

Hi Eddie/ Natasha
The AVIASTAR flight from Bali to LBJ [return] ... may I please clarify for when you went

Hold baggage was 20kg, but cabin baggage I can have two bits of hand luggage so long as I don't over do it [maybe each 7kg is ok]?

Thank you very much .... Layla

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Natasha

Thanks for this
Last time I looked on the Dancer website I'm sure it said 15kg hold + 5kg cabin, which is why I was concered

I only take what is absolutely necessary - 17 days in bikinis + sarongs is good for me
I think I've figured it out:
24kg in hold bag + 7kg in trolley cabin bag + 4kg in shoulder bag [which they may not see]
I just bought a lighter cabin bag which is 1.2kg instead of my old one @ 3kg

I know this sounds like I'm skimping on a few dollars, but the trip has cost me more than I expected, because my agent wacked on 450$ for some unknown reason
And, Dancer charged me an addition 44$ for the Bali/ LBJ flights over and above flight + booking fee
So, I'm saving little bits whereever I can

Have a lovely weekend, Everyone .... Layla

Last edited:
i actually put the camera in the housing and take the oring out of the housing, so it doesn't pressurize, i then hand carry the housing with me on the plane, both with my DSLR rig or with my Amphibico Phenom which weighs about 18kg or 40 pounds...it fits under the seat on Lion Air flights :) the DSLR housing i just have on my lap. they don't question me about it other than "what is that??!!" i reply, its a camera, they say.. oh.. :)

Very easy.. one backpack that goes in the over head, a very large computer bag that goes in the overhead, and a large housing that goes under the seat..

Thanks Mike

Wow!
You had a very different experience from what it says on the Dancer website, which is 15kg hold + 5kg cabin

Why don't you go on mermaid liveaboards from bali. No flying within indonesia so no luggage weight hassle. I have been on both mermaid 1 and 2 and the mermaid 1 is what is recommend as it allows more time in komodo park and a more relaxed pace. Excellent boats and crew.

Hi Natasha.....
I only take what is absolutely necessary - 17 days in bikinis + sarongs is good for me

Thanks Mike
Wow!
You had a very different experience from what it says on the Dancer website, which is 15kg hold + 5kg cabin
That's because Mike has a special deal arranged. Because of all his camera gear, he also only takes what is absolutely necessary for clothing - 17 days in bikinis + sarongs. The airlines don't question him after seeing that. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom