Getting to Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S

SteveM54

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to plan a liveaboard trip (10-17 days on the "boats") to the Raja Ampat area for Jan. - Feb or March of '25.
My once in a life time trip !!!!

Starting in St. Louis, Mo.
Going through Seattle - Taipei -Jakarta - then Sorong.
That's 11,873 flight miles over 67 hours in airports - traveling alone.
Kind of "dicey" but do-able.
I'm concerned about being totally worn out from the ride just getting there (just hit 70) & then having to sleep for three days just to recover from the "jet lag".
So if anyone else has had this type of experience, please share your ideas with me as to:
1. Did you stop for a "day or three" somewhere & dive or tour or just rest or ????
2. What liveaboards did you like or not ? Found one that has a 7 day & then the next trip is 10 more days = 17 days back to back.
3. I have the time to add a week on the front end of this trip so ideas & comments would very much be appreciated.

I don't care about on the way home but on the to Raja Ampat - I'm worried about: delayed luggage, lost gear & just being wiped out.
Thanks

It's stressful and tiring for almost everyone, it's all a matter of the payoff on the other end.

Because the diving going west from the west coast is so much better than the Caribbean we've been doing it for the last 20+ years. The travel time (and hassle) has always been worth it...

I've traveled to Lembeh (from CA) for 4 days of diving because it was worth it (also a chance to dive with a Nat Geo team that did the famous nudibranch issue). To get to the best diving you have to get off the beaten path...
Absolutely worth it.

I stopped in Jakarta for a night. It was still brutal.
I've stopped for a night in Jakarta. Wasn't brutal at all except for the exorbitant taxi fare from the airport to FM7 hotel.
I had a decent rest before carrying on my way the next day.

I've stopped for a night in Jakarta. Wasn't brutal at all except for the exorbitant taxi fare from the airport to FM7 hotel.
I had a decent rest before carrying on my way the next day.
How much did you pay? Did you get in some off brand taxi? Bluebird should have been 50k to 60k tops.

How much did you pay? Did you get in some off brand taxi? Bluebird should have been 50k to 60k tops.
I don't recall but I'm generally very careful. I got the impression that the charge was so high because we were leaving the airport. I was exhausted so only argued a little bit. Then i just sucked it up.

Next time, I guess I'll give the aiport hotel a try. I gather it's not as nice but oh well.

So! Who agrees with me that scubasteve can get to Jakarta in under 30 hours?

Easily. We do it twice a year from Indianapolis or Ft. Myers.

Look at American (St. Louis > Chicago/NYC/Dallas > Tokyo > Jakarta). The flights will be American and or ANA. Buy the premium economy seats...or business if that is possible.

Look at Qatar Air (STL > Chicago/NYC > Doha > Jakarta. No premium economy on Qatar. Their business is freakin awesome. If you can swing it, do it.

I don't recall but I'm generally very careful. I got the impression that the charge was so high because we were leaving the airport. I was exhausted so only argued a little bit. Then i just sucked it up.

Next time, I guess I'll give the aiport hotel a try. I gather it's not as nice but oh well.

I just booked Anara hotel on level 2 of Terminal 3 for $77/night.

Taxi cost is zero. I just walk to the elevator to the 2nd level of the International arrival (Terminal 3).

Checking in to Garuda is also within 5 minutes walking distance from the hotel, just take elevator from level 2 to level 3 of the same Terminal 3.

I just booked my flight from Houston to Jakarta with Singapore Airlines, leaving Houston at 18:50 on 12 January and arriving in Jakarta at 10:15 on 14 January, 2025. That’s 27 hours & 25 minutes.

For the domestic flights (CGK-SOQ & KNG-SOQ), we will be booking Garuda Airlines through tiket.com. I am whitelisting my new United Explorer credit card with them before I can use it for buying the domestic flights.

Update:
Tiket.com is unable to whitelist my United Explorer credit card for some reason. So, for CGK-SOQ roundtrip flights I ended up purchasing it from Garuda, https://www.garuda-indonesia.com/other-countries/en/index as they accept my United Explorer credit card.

However Garuda do not fly to/from Kaimana (KNG). Only Wings Air (part of Lion Air group) fly to/from Kaimana and Lion Air also don’t accept my United Explorer credit card. Fortunately NusaTrip, Flights & Hotels - Online travel - domestic & international - Cheap Prices accept my United Explorer credit card. So I purchased the KNG-SOQ flight ticket from NusaTrip.

I also use Nusa Trip. It's not my favorite way to do things but only because of not being able to make a seat selection. I have found a way to make the selection later, but can't currently recall whether it was by going to my reservation on the airlines website or at the desk upon check-in. It's been a while since I've had to use NusaTrip. Other than that, NusaTrip is a great option.

Reactions: Dan
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom