Giant Sea Bass speared in the La Jolla Preserve by scuba diver 04/24/2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
I just saw a fish, what are you talking about dear???

I've been waiting for you! :10: The newspaper I saw had the guy handcuffed in his wetsuit :eyebrow: , being led away. At first glance, the guy showed a little resemblance to you....though you are MUCH better looking!

drbill:
Incredible... the idiot deserves the same fate. Of course his lawyer will probably develop some defense that will get him "off the hook" (so to speak).

Dr. Bill
I hope his lawyer charges him $5,000 to defend him and that way he can remember it as the most expensive seafood dinner he didn't get to eat ....

should/can we write to have him prosecuted?

Ann Marie:
I've been waiting for you! :10: The newspaper I saw had the guy handcuffed in his wetsuit :eyebrow: , being led away. At first glance, the guy showed a little resemblance to you....though you are MUCH better looking!

Kiss up....

:gr1:

shaxs:
should/can we write to have him prosecuted?

Better yet, lobby the local governments to improve preventative measures. Ascertaining the underlying cause as to why this clown speared the fish in the first place may lead to keeping recurrences down.

archman:
Better yet, lobby the local governments to improve preventative measures. Ascertaining the underlying cause as to why this clown speared the fish in the first place may lead to keeping recurrences down.

I can't imagine how anyone who dives locally could not know what it was. There is just nothing else out there that looks like a giant black sea bass. The story about their rebound has been in local dive publications and all over the local discussion boards. I can't believe anyone has been to a dive shop and hasn't heard about them.
It's rather like, "Gee, I didn't realize it was a manatee."

The majority of recreational divers neither visit online discussion boards, nor subscribe to local diving publications. Most dive shops don't plaster their walls with local fishing regulations, either. Novice spearfishermen very often make a great many mistakes regarding what they shoot, due to inadequate education. It's almost as bad as recreational boating in Florida, oh what fun that is to monitor. :11:

I still can't believe anyone who dives locally hasn't heard of a BSB. Throw the book at him.

archman:
The majority of recreational divers neither visit online discussion boards, nor subscribe to local diving publications. Most dive shops don't plaster their walls with local fishing regulations, either. Novice spearfishermen very often make a great many mistakes regarding what they shoot, due to inadequate education. It's almost as bad as recreational boating in Florida, oh what fun that is to monitor. :11:

Well you do need to get an ocean fishing license. And it comes with a booklet with pretty pictures of the fishes in it. It helps to be smarter than the neanderthals. Good thing he did not also bring in a stringer of garibaldi and canary rock fish as well. But I suppose he had his hands full with the 150 lb sea bass anyway. This is just one of those unbelievable things!

I believe most hunting and fishing licensing in the U.S. are issued along with local regulatory pamphlets. Issuance does not imply they're being read. Seeing as how a significant fraction of folks that illegally spear fishes in Florida and Texas do it out of sheer ignorance/stupidity, I would assume the same holds true in California. I would wager that the "I didn't know excuse" will likely be this particular fellow's defense. It's the #1 such defense for illegal hunting.

Stupidity certainly doesn't excuse such behavior, but it does point out weak points in the educational mode. Inadequate public awareness is one of the greatest chronic problems in wildlife management. I would be mildly interested in knowing this particular diver's history both as a diver and as a spearfisherman. Odds greatly favor him being new to the sport, or new to the area.

How often do these shenanigans happen in California? I can tell you they occur on a daily basis in the Florida Keys, but the offenders rarely are discovered. Many of these folks have no idea they're shooting an undersized, oversized or protected species. Offenses of this type are directly linked to inadequate consumer education. "Throwing the book" at this demographic isn't particularly useful; it's like kicking a misbehaving puppy. If done excessively, public opinion sometimes backlashes back at the regulatory agencies. Standard penalties suffice for this group.

Now if it turns out this guy is a local and a veteran spearfisherman, prosecution to the full extent of the law most certainly is warranted. Fry his butt, better yet have him perform relevant community service.

Back
Top Bottom