Giant Sea Bass speared in the La Jolla Preserve by scuba diver 04/24/2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
How often do these shenanigans happen in California? I can tell you they occur on a daily basis in the Florida Keys, but the offenders rarely are discovered. Many of these folks have no idea they're shooting an undersized, oversized or protected species. Offenses of this type are directly linked to inadequate consumer education. "Throwing the book" at this demographic isn't particularly useful; it's like kicking a misbehaving puppy. If done excessively, public opinion sometimes backlashes back at the regulatory agencies. Standard penalties suffice for this group.

Now if it turns out this guy is a local and a veteran spearfisherman, prosecution to the full extent of the law most certainly is warranted. Fry his butt, better yet have him perform relevant community service.

I have heard soooooo many stories. There's the spanish family that brought up 240+ Garibaldi for a family picnic. The mexican guys that were fishing somewhere in Torrance and caught a small BSB and a couple dozen Garibaldi (State marine Fish - very protected), the couple at the boat dock who had a jv mako and thought it was some type of tuna, then there's the Philipino skin diver that came up with a dozen Garibaldi on a stringer at Laguna Beach, walked up to the Life Guard and asked him the best way to cook 'em! :11:

I have brought 5 fishing licenses, and have NEVER been given a regulations book. SO many people think that the ocean is up for grabs and don;t even buy licenses. The two guys in torrance only had one license. They thought it was cool if they "shared it."
So funny, and yet WAY too sad...

At least the harbor patrol and police out here on Catalina caught guys fishing for garibaldi. They had already been warned and continued to catch them after the officers "left" (watching with binocs from a discrete distance). String 'em up (through the gills, just like they did to the garibaldi).

Dr. Bill

Are Garibaldi good eating? I've never heard of anyone eating a damselfish before.

archman:
Are Garibaldi good eating? I've never heard of anyone eating a damselfish before.

They do so in Mexico all the time...

Thanks for keeping us updated on this. I was wondering what was going on with this case. They all appear to be a bunch of fine upstanding citizens... NOT!

divebuddysean:

"Adhami has a criminal history that includes six felony convictions from 1992-2000 for receiving stolen property, burglary, auto theft and filing false insurance claims, Lange said. He was sentenced to two years in state prison. Last year, fish and game wardens cited Hodaji for illegally taking 10 short lobsters and a small sheephead while scuba diving off La Jolla Cove. He pleaded guilty and paid the minimum fine, Lange said."

These guys were framed!! That fish probably jumped onto his spear gun.
Seriously though,what kind of idiot does two years in prison and then decides to test his luck spearing a GSB. I hope Adhami gets jail timefor this. If he doesn't I'm sure he will wind up in jail again sooner or later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom