Gidday from sunny Melbourne!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got Lakes Superior, Huron, Michigan, Ontario, and Erie in my back yard; You want ship wrecks? We got ship wrecks!! You want old ship wrecks? We got old ship wrecks because we don't have critters that eat the wood. It's cold, but it's like stepping back in history when you drop on one of these babies knowing that you're exploring a piece of time frozen in history because that ship is laying just like the day she went down.-----Man, I'm getting myself fired up!! I would sure like to dive your backyard!! Welcome to the board

Barracuda2

Scubaroo:
G'day from another Melbournite. Did my first dive at Flinders about 2 months ago - lots of weedies, but no leafies.

Hi fellow Melbournite!
I think you only get weedies at Flinders, though I always get it mixed up. Did you see many? They are hard to spot at first, but once you get your eye in you see they are everywhere.
It's a good dive when you don't have the time or energy for anything else. I've done it in 3-4mtres vis, and it was still sorta ok, the weedies are always there. How long ya been diving? Where r u in Mel?
Pat.A.

Barracuda2:
I've got Lakes Superior, Huron, Michigan, Ontario, and Erie in my back yard; You want ship wrecks? We got ship wrecks!! You want old ship wrecks? We got old ship wrecks because we don't have critters that eat the wood. It's cold, but it's like stepping back in history when you drop on one of these babies knowing that you're exploring a piece of time frozen in history because that ship is laying just like the day she went down.-----Man, I'm getting myself fired up!! I would sure like to dive your backyard!! Welcome to the board

Barracuda2

Thanks for the welcome Barracuda.
Sounds like it's strictly dry suit diving for you. Those wreck sound great, many fish or other creatures?
Diving here is good, we're blessed down under, with a lot of things. Just consider, A country with only 18 million, about the population of Holland, and it's a little smaller in area than th U.S. We love it here! No problems finding a place to dive alone. And no problem finding clean water.
Hey, come on down!

G'donya m8,

Nice to see another downunderite on the board. There are far too few of us southerners here.

Oh Yeah, diving is VERY sexy...... and Macho...... did I mention sexy?

pataussiediver:
. Those wreck sound great, many fish or other creatures?

Not much life seen in the Great Lakes. Lots of crayfish (like a mini-lobster), an occasional dog fish, sometimes two or three walleye fish (great eating, but I don't believe spear fishing is allowed), Sometimes perch (also good eating) Zebra mussels are slowly taking over everything, not only in the Great Lakes but even in inland lakes and quarries (fishermen and divers bring them in via their boats and gear) The main reason for Great Lakes diving is the wrecks. The underwater topography is pretty bland. Yes, dry suits are in order for comfort. In the "old" days, I did ice diving with a wet suit, but when I got my first dry, I was hooked. I don't even look at my wet suit until about June (our summer) If I ever come your way, I would want to be in that area for about a month. I don't think it would be too good to travel that far for a week or 10 days. It takes about two days to get there, so I would want to stay and dive the GBR and Palau, etc. Have a great day.

Barracuda2

Barracuda 2,
There's so much diversity of diving down here, a month would just scratch the surface.
In victoria and we have what we call at least call cold water diving, lots of kelp, some soft corals and of course quite different species. Obviously the GBR is very different again, and the Coral Sea different to the GBR.
There's a place called Byron bay in Nth NSW, and only a few km offshore is a place called Julian Rocks. Here the warm and cool water currents meet, and you get the cool and warm water species living side by side. Apparently it happens nowhere else in Aus. Can't wait, I'll b there in September.
You should come down if you can, you would love it, I promise.

Welcome! I can't believe all the people from Melbourne. I'll have to send my buddy here.

Gooday mate!

Back
Top Bottom