Gilboa - Labor Day Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

Does this mean we should be on the lookout for one stout buzz-cut individual from the smokies???

It -has- happened in the past, with the correct celestial alignment, and correctly sequenced chicken sacrifices...

Plan for a max depth of 60' unless you desperately want to see the very cold, very barren deep side bottom (120'+). I won't be joining you for the bottom excursion. It just isn't fun. 8)

Temps: I dived my 7mm onepiece a couple of weeks ago and was comfortable with a hood and light gloves. It gets a little chilly down by the tubes at 60/70' but that's noticeably colder than the rest of the shallow . I would have been happier diving my drysuit but it has a small problem which is now (hopefully) rectified.

You can camp right on the grounds. They also have a bunkhouse where you can rent-a-rack for a very nominal fee. About 15 minutes away, on I-75, is a good selection of motels and restaurants. My choice is the Crosscountry Inn on the first road east (100 yds) of I-75 (contact info on the divegilboa site). Tell 'em yer a diver and you get a deal, no questions asked. The place is always nice and clean and they try to give divers the main floor rooms.

JohnF

Popeye - we aren't sacrificing chickens...we're sacrificing turkeys...come on man...get with the program

Mike -

1 - You can rent tanks at gilboa....I'll have mine in the off chance I'm sober enough to dive

2 - I do not expect to exceed 80'...I will be diving the shallow side over by the plane....depths there are max of 40', we can head to the tubes (again shallow side) and hit 80'

3 - By AUG, it probably won't be 'cold' unless you get below the thermocline at 40'....then I expect to see mid 50's by the tubes...certainly not that cold for OH diving. If you have a 6 mil suit with hood, gloves, and booties you will be fine

4 - I don't plan on camping or staying overnite...if I do stay, I'll be camping, and I don't know if the wife is coming with or not...if you'd like to reserve a room, do it ahead of time...camping is usually 1st come 1st serve...but I have heard rumors about reserving campsites....

Popeye once bubbled...

It -has- happened in the past, with the correct celestial alignment, and correctly sequenced chicken sacrifices...

So maybe I'll finally get to dive with you? We've met up there how many times and have yet to get in the water together. But, what the hey, dipping salsa out of a mask whilst fixing regs is companionable too. 8)

JohnF

Sure, I leave for the Outer Banks for Labor Day week and you throw a party at the home dive site!

I think I'll smack Big-T to console myself) :)
Ber :bunny:

The beauty of my situation is that I never have to guess which end of the stick I have received

Moonshine, sonic booms, beer, traumatized dogs, emblamed strawberries and grapes, forest fires, beer, deep fried cheeto's and tree leaves, beer, stainless steel devices, hijacked gear, screaming wimmen, beer, cold water, mudpuppies, pork on the halfshell, the nudist colony, sounds like an ambush to me.

Yeah, I'm in.

Did I mention beer?

My wife is also coming so that is
jtivat and wife :D
Just let me know who to get some cash to and how much.

quarryrat once bubbled...
Moonshine, sonic booms, beer, traumatized dogs, emblamed strawberries and grapes, forest fires, beer, deep fried cheeto's and tree leaves, beer, stainless steel devices, hijacked gear, screaming wimmen, beer, cold water, mudpuppies, pork on the halfshell, the nudist colony, sounds like an ambush to me.

Yeah, I'm in.

Did I mention beer?

We need to hang out.

Back
Top Bottom