Gilboa Scuba Patrol??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're totally missing the point.

The owner gets to make the decision what is right and wrong. It's his property, not the divers.

It's not brand specific. There are people who go over with just an al80, no redundant air supply, wetsuits to 130 ft and no lights. That's insane. The bottom temps are usually around 40 degrees and it is very dark down there. If you get away from the wall, how do you make a safe ascent. Most divers can't control their ascents and make the required stops without some visual reference. These people are accidents waiting to happen. Most divers also have no clue about gas management. Do you really think the standard be back with xxx psi works well in these conditions? Wait till the SHTF. I'm betting most won't be able to handle the problem without a rapid ascent.

Mikes rules require you to have a redundant air supply and be qualified to go over the wall. OW divers are generally not permitted. There may be some exceptions. I am mostly talking about new divers. Wait till one of the get arrested for tresspassing by trying to get around the rules and sneek over the wall.

Skills alone won't do squat without the proper equipment. Number one is being a competent diver. Number two would be having a competent buddy. Number three would be following Mike's rules which includes a plan. Number four would be equipment.

chrpai once bubbled...

I think that is the point. While I agree that if you see someone about to do something unsafe something should be done... ( normally I try to talk to the person tactfully and discretely) but lets say you accept that it should be reported to Mike for the sake of argument...

Who is to say what is right or wrong? ( In that regard its VERY similiar to the MHK thing I said ) ... Before you can go report unsafe diving practices, there first has to be compete agreement on what is or is not unsafe diving practices.

You mention regulator as an example. Gear choice is almost a religious thing. Take one of your cheapest regulators.. the Sherwood Brute. You see this as a rental regulator at many, many warm water resorts. Its not environmentally sealed or especially designed for cold water diving, but it uses a positive pressure bleed system to keep it dry. I would trust this regulator in cold deep water. In fact I trust my Mares MR12 Axis in cold deep water. Is someone going to be reported because they aren't diving an Apex or Scubapro?

Someone else here mentioned "single AL80 and wetsuit" ... I know lots and lots of divers that do cold deep dives just like that. Are they to be reported?

Stab jacket instead of BP/W? Bungie Wings of death get reported?

Before someone says its not just about the gear, I'm only harping on it because its very hard to tell how someones skills are until they are already in the water.

I'm not even going to bother to reply to this thread anymore. I do appreciate the person that has offered to send me a scan of the dive plan. I have the feeling I'll get a better idea of what Mike expects when I see that rather then listen to every go off on what they think constitutes a bad plan.

we have raised some awareness about diving safely at Gilboa and at least a few are thinking about some things they might not have.

I see that as a step in the right direction.

diveski01 once bubbled...
we have raised some awareness about diving safely at Gilboa and at least a few are thinking about some things they might not have.

I see that as a step in the right direction.

And as an added bonus, we pissed off Chris! :D It's always nice to increase safety awareness will annoying others!

He, he... sorry I couldn't resist...

Cornfed

Just got home from work tonight and stumbled cross this thread.

Quite a thread! I didn't take the time to read it all, but Im sure its full of good information.

Well, gotta go pack my dive gear. Im diving Gilboa tomorrow at 10 am if anyone would care to join me.

Later,

Dave

PS, D Constanza, PM me your home phone number if you would please sir.

Big O
check your pm

Don

Hey, I'll be there Friday and Saturday. Hugs aren't required. Groping is absolutely verboten. But mebbe a dive or two might be in order.

JF

You know, it's really hard to take someone seriously that throws out meaningless stuff that doesn't pertain to this thread.

Where did MHK or DIR come into play?

chrpai once bubbled...
I'm not even going to bother to reply to this thread anymore. I do appreciate the person that has offered to send me a scan of the dive plan. I have the feeling I'll get a better idea of what Mike expects when I see that rather then listen to every go off on what they think constitutes a bad plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom