GIMME THE PRIZE! To go, or not to go...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the rate of infection climbing in the US and stabilizing in Mexico, I think you'd be as likely to get sick here as there.

I'm going to Mexico in June with my daughters, 7 and 12. I spend a fair amount of time in the country and I never feel unsafe. Just take basic precautions as you would when travelling anywhere unfamiliar.

My advice?
1. Buy trip insurance. It's not that expensive and it would give you peace of mind. I would get the higher-cost kind that allows you to cancel for any reason. My son's doing a 3 week liveaboard this summer and we paid $170 for a $6000 trip. In addition to letting us back out of the trip if we felt we needed to, the insurance would pay for medical costs and/or a medevac flight back to the States if he were to become sick or be injured.

2. Ignore the warning about pork. Hopefully Roatan Man was kidding, 'cause you can't get the H1N1 from eating pig. Mmmm....carnitas!

I had also thought I would pay the fee (which is substantial) to add my wife to the trip if she were interested (which I think she would be) as well, so this suddenly becomes a potentially expensive endeavor as well.
-S

It appears that you are a little bothered by the recent events taking place in the world (Swine Flu / Pirates ) so here is my suggestion. Think about what this FREE trip (which isn't so free) is really going to cost you? You say your wife would be interested in this trip (which makes me assume she is a diver as well) and she just had a baby (Congrats on that as they are the best things ever). Now you also stated you were thinking somewhere around 2010, so why not save money and somewhere in 2010 give the kid up for a week (if you can convince the wife) and take a much needed diving vacation somewhere nice for the 2 of you. All fears mentioned eariler were averted and although you didnt specify the additional cost it might all work out to be within the same cost range.

Maybe??? :D

:no: :shakehead:

Don't go,you might die.(you will anyhow,waiting long enough)
You better sent those tickets to me,and I will risk my life in your place.:rofl3:

:shakehead: heck just have a good time overthere.

Take your wife, have a great time and forget all the other worries. Not many people get the chance to dive there even at half the price. Travel smart, be safe and have fun.

Hi Gang,

Wow, this is turning out to rapidly be a *fun* thread! :eyebrow:

I had figured I'd go on the trip, but was certainly curious about what others thought of it. I agree that we're just hearing from a largely bored media that seems to have nothing to do but report on a sub-average bug, and rare incidents as if they were in your own back yard.

Regarding Jupiter's comment, "Personally, I think you have a better chance of seeing Jesus, or beamed up to an alien spacecraft, than being attacked by pirates in the Sea of Cortez.". :rofl3: ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS! Thanks for that!

Regarding trip insurance, I and my wife are both Dan Premium subscribers which includes pretty solid trip insurance as I recall.

And as far as how I won it...basically I won the grand prize for the 2008 SSI Master Diver Challenge, which was this trip. :)

For fun, keep the comments coming - I'm sure a lot of folks who dive in Mexico still find the banter of interest...

Regards,

-S

DAN sells trip insurance on a trip by trip basis. The dive insurance plans include some travel expense reimbursement if you have extra expenses caused by a dive accident, but it's not general purpose travel insurance. (But if the trip is free, about all you're really risking is the plane fare, or maybe just a change fee.)

I think you have a better chance of seeing Jesus

Jesus? He was our Divemaster in Mexico, too!

or beamed up to an alien spacecraft

Tequila attracts them flying saucers. I seen it.

None of the obstacles you mentioned should keep you from going. You have to decide if this is something you want to do, either solo or paying extra for the wife. If it seems like a good trip and is worth (to you) the added expenses, and you can schedule it reasonably, then by all means go.

If you're worried about bringing home a virus (any virus) to your infant child, speak to your pediatrician about a risk assessment. If it's a manageable concern, you might quarrantine yourself in different rooms from the infant for a day or two after your return.

Just PM me and i'll buy the trip from ya. this will let you rest easy about the dangers, flu and the wife.
i'll take lots of pictures and share them with ya. (you can photoshop yourselves in later)

Back
Top Bottom