Give Your Opinion- Best Coral Reef Diving in the World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I love raja, I still think the best coral reefs I have dived is the Fathers area of PNG. Simply by sheer numbers of coral species in one spot and the colors and pristine condition of the hard corals.

Have you been to the "coral triangle" and believe that the Line Islands are better? How did you dive them, by day trip or live-aborad? Are the reefs in 50 feet of water or less? Can you recommend a dive outfit or travel agent?

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2013 at 10:47 AM ----------

Thanks for the detailed reply. Can you make any good dives in 50 feet or less? What specific areas or dive outfits can you recommend?

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2013 at 10:49 AM ----------

Can you recommend specific areas or dive outfits? I'm specifically interested in diving reefs at a depth of 50 feet or less.
The easiest overseas trans-Pacific location to travel from mainland US, in the vicinity of the Coral Triangle is Palau (where I am at the moment!:wink:) --you can get here in 22 to 26 hrs from Los Angeles and be in the water diving ten hours later after arriving. Any other resort/dive-op destination within the Coral Triangle heading to Papua New Guinea/Solomons & SE Asia, you will have to overnight somewhere at some Int'l Airport hub or big city. Otherwise, Philippines is a good place to start in general (everything from walls & drift diving big reefs to small macro critters & muck diving) and is the most economical for the US dollar of the Coral Triangle nations/regions, and everybody speaks & understands English! . . .

Do your homework for the particular type of reef diving you want to see & in your travel budget range, and check this thread for everybody else's suggestions/recommendations as well. . .

I dived PNG - Solomons on a private LOB and really enjoyed Alotoa (Milne Bay) where you can do shallow dives - its the ''home'' of muck diving but most of the area has quite deep drop offs - Deacons Reef is a divesite I will always use as a bar for all others, completely pristine and WOW overload. Also enjoyed the Kavieng area and have friends who have used Scuba Ventures Kavieng with good reviews. Google MV Chertan and MV Febrina for LOB schedules.

In North Sulawesi I have a special fondness for Bangka/Sauhong and also like Bunaken which is much more relaxed diving. In Bunaken I dive with Froggies who have just opened up a Lembeh outfit and at Bangka I dived with Murex though I would not recommend Murex again on the basis of the condition of their boats and food non variety.

If you dont have a budget..do PNG if you do have a budget...look at Indonesia. Alor is also spectacular.

No contest....... 4 hrs away......... cheap............. Palancar Gardens/ Rocks/Caves. Over the edge to the white sand knee down and look back from where you started from. Life changing!!!

I have not seen a reef in the Caribbean that compares with some of those in Asia in terms of biodiversity.

I have not seen a reef in the Caribbean that compares with some of those in Asia in terms of biodiversity.

Which reefs in particular in Asia? I'm especially interested in those that can be dove in 50 feet or less. Thanks!

Theres thousands of dive spots throughout the coral triangle you can do shallow dives in. Tulumben in Bali seems to draw a lot of US divers who all come out of the water saying WOW never seen colors like that in the Caribbean. Hit youtube and have a look at some of the other popular less touristy dive spots - one I return to every few years is Bunaken - this night dive vid was shot at Fukuii which is a lovely night dive spot Bunaken Night Dive HD - YouTube. In Malaysia look at Sipidan/Mabul -Scuba Diving Around Sipadan, Malaysia in HD With Aquatech Scuba Center - YouTube. Thailand look at Richeleiu Rock Richelieu Rock World Class Diving, Thailand - YouTube. If you dont mind big currents Alor will knock your socks off Diving in Alor and Flores (Indonesia) underwater footage - YouTube. Phillipines - Anilao looks good will head there after xmas on friends referrals - Best of Anilao Diving - Mabini - Batangas - Philippines [GoPro HD] - YouTube

NOT Asia but PNG (please remember PNG is not part of Asia while Raja Ampat West Papua is!) My favourite reef Deacon's Reef, Milne bay PNG by b o l u v - YouTube

A ten and a half hour direct flight from LAX to Nadi Fiji, followed by a three hour scenic ride and a 25 minute boat ride puts on you some of the best soft coral diving in the world. Oh and on the flight you will get a couple meals along with free beer and wine :)

Nobody has. Especially not the people who would put Caribbean diving up against anything in the south pacific or Indonesia. There are mud puddles on south pacific islands with better diving than you find in the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom