Gloves for Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well some areas of Monterey get to 46F or so. I use Excel 5/4 Titanium from Dive N Board in Concord. I imagine AWS also carries them. Good dexterity and warm to 44F. I use the 3/2 Titanium for freediving Sonoma/Mendocino not too numb finger tips at 46F. ~$30

I'm wondering what others think is a good, cheap, entry-level glove (thickness / make / brand) for someone who apparently isn't exceptionally susceptible to feeling cold, would like to maintain as much dexterity as possible, but is also a bit of a warm-water-weenie who doesn't have a lot of experience in colder water and whose prior dive experience is predominantly in the tropics wearing a 3mm shortie or a rashguard with never any thought to gloves.

Thanks for reading a long post.

I use these (note that they are actually wetgloves, despite the product name):

Deep See: Part of the Aqua Lung Family of Brands

They are 4mm thick which is warm enough for me (routinely doing 90-120min. dives). The gloves use taped seams instead of stitched seams which I think makes them more dexterous.

As Chuck says, if your hands are cold, the first thing you need to address is your core. Drysuit, decent undergarment, good thick hood (e.g. Otter Bay), etc.... gloves are pretty far down on the list IMHO.

2. SeaSoft makes a 5/3 (5mm mostly, 3mm on thumb and forefinger) and a 3/1.5. I use the 3/1.5's. The
model you want is the Ti Pro Edge: Kevlar on the wear points, nicely curved to the
natural shape of your hand (cheap gloves lay flat). They last and last and last. Other
gloves would last me maybe a year (130 dives). The SeaSofts last me two or three
years. There was a thread on ba_diving about wet glove choice this fall and this was
the nearly unaminous choice. I think AWS and Aquarius Del Monte carry them.

Yeah, +1 on the Seasoft gloves, they're what I use and they're great.

I would call them "semi-dry". When I am using a new pair, they usually stay dry at least on the surface swim out :p

I have used those gloves too. I think the fit of the gloves makes a big difference in dexterity, and these fit my fingers really well. Like Rob mentioned, the taped seams means that the finger tips are actually shaped like finger tips (instead of a bulky seam like a lot of gloves have).

I recently moved to dry gloves, but that is mostly for deeper dives. Below 100 feet, those gloves are like 0mm :p But I was very happy with the Deep See gloves for quite a while.

I use these (note that they are actually wetgloves, despite the product name):

Deep See: Part of the Aqua Lung Family of Brands

They are 4mm thick which is warm enough for me (routinely doing 90-120min. dives). The gloves use taped seams instead of stitched seams which I think makes them more dexterous.

As Chuck says, if your hands are cold, the first thing you need to address is your core. Drysuit, decent undergarment, good thick hood (e.g. Otter Bay), etc.... gloves are pretty far down on the list IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom