Glowsticks on night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What exactly is the point of them?
Yeah, I see them as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist! :D

If you have decent buddy skills and more than one light, this should not be a problem!

All of the glow sticks that I have seen are single use only. Then they're either thrown in the ocean or the trash. Either way, it's not good for the environment.

If you like the idea of a light on your tank (and I do), use battery powered lights. The batteries can be replaced and when they wear out, they can be recycled.

Ken

Good idea or not? They seem like a great way to tell everyone apart. Are fish or other things attracted to them?

I have not noticed fish being attracted to them though fish/squid are quite attracted to my light so they might be, but I can't tell as it is behind me. I don't see them as necessary. I don't lose my buddy on night dives (well most of the time I don't :wink:) so therefore I don't find I need them. I guess one thing they could do is help tell people apart if you are diving in large numbers - you could use different colours - but when I night dive it just tends to be me and my buddy (and sometimes a third). And I can tell them apart by their light. I used to have a tank flasher but it got flooded so I gave up on it :)

I have no idea :D. I guess so you have a little glowing dangling thing behind your head. If I dont see your light, I am not going to see that. I prefer to have several backup lights.

That's is true for people that use lights, but if you really want to experience a night dive it takes close to 10 minutes with no light for the eyes to really get totally adjusted to the dark and start spotting all kind of creatures, it's better if you start from a dark boat.

Anyways for divers that use those huge super powerful lights that can double as fish cookers these little sticks are nothing more than a dancing glow. But for people that only use the lights if there is a problem these sticks are very good.

That's is true for people that use lights, but if you really want to experience a night dive it takes close to 10 minutes with no light for the eyes to really get totally adjusted to the dark and start spotting all kind of creatures, it's better if you start from a dark boat.

Anyways for divers that use those huge super powerful lights that can double as fish cookers these little sticks are nothing more than a dancing glow. But for people that only use the lights if there is a problem these sticks are very good.

I use a 3 watt, not a light that turns fish transparent. Im not scared of the dark water. I usually do half the dive or better without a light looking up at the stars or moon. However I am not sticking my hands in a hole for lobster when I dont know whats in the hole with it :D

if you dive with a shop they will generally require either the kem-light or for you to have the battery operated strobe light, we bought the batter mini-strobe lights but always forget to bring AAA batteries and end up getting stuck buying the dive shops kem lights..

if you dive with a shop they will generally require either the kem-light or for you to have the battery operated strobe light, we bought the batter mini-strobe lights but always forget to bring AAA batteries and end up getting stuck buying the dive shops kem lights..

I have heard that but never been forced to use them.

guess I will re-state, the night dives we have done the operators have all required the divers to have them, but that was mostly in the touristy key's areas......

If it is a shallow dive the boat can keep track of the divers also.

guess I will re-state, the night dives we have done the operators have all required the divers to have them, but that was mostly in the touristy key's areas......

I've heard that also... I've even seen it on dive charters websites.

but I've never had anyone tell us we had to use one during a pre dive brief, much less have anyone check.

I've got to agree with Netdoc that they are "a solution to a problem that doesn't exist"

Back
Top Bottom