Glowsticks on night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how about hanging from a floating dive flag on a shore dive?

I don't really think a boater would see it from far off. maybe if they were right on it. (just my opinion). but it depends on night light conditions I guess. Maybe someone else who's seen one can respond.

About the only thing it'd guess it's really help in would be if in a search/rescue issue it might be seen better with Night Vis goggles by a Helicopter crew. (just my opinion...)

(of course a rescue copter would see one of those big ass lights that doubles as a fish fryer a whole lot better also :thumb:)

What exactly is the point of them?

Dead scuba divers lay face down if they are on the surface. They are a lot easier to find at night if they have a glow stick hanging out of the water.

Last edited:
I like to put one on the anchor line, to use as center point of the dive. I also put one on the hang tank. Each diver in the group gets one to put on with a zip tie to the yoke. Never had one come off, we would use a case a month. The DM uses a different color so the group knows who to follow. A flashing strobe works even better.

I've never been on a dive boat that required every diver to wear a glowstick. If the DM wanted to wear one, then that's his/her prerogative. Personally, I think it's a silly idea...and probably not an environmentally friendly practice. Divers should be able to identify their buddies by light beam (caliber, color, etc.) and dive gear. For the local diving that I do, I avoid dive groups with those chemical glowsticks on their tank valves. In the last few months, there have been two separate occasions when a glowstick diver has gotten separated from the herd, latched onto me as a an insta-buddy, and shined a light in my eyes (I guess to see if he knew me). One diver even showed me his SPG: "Oh, look. I only have 600 psi left." The next time this happens I'm going to get my camera ready to take an up-close shot of his face when he realizes that I'm not his buddy.

Dead scuba divers lay face down if they are on the surface. They are a lot easier to find at night if they have a glow stick hanging out of the water.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: Nice!!!

Yeah, I see them as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist! :D

If you have decent buddy skills and more than one light, this should not be a problem!

+1

-1 for the unnecessary trash they create. I use a Princeton Tec "Eco Flare" tank marker light on liveaboards that require them. At $6.99 including batteries I've been using it for three years and it's cheaper than the dozens of glow sticks I'd have used in the same time period.

I don't really think a boater would see it from far off. maybe if they were right on it. (just my opinion). but it depends on night light conditions I guess. Maybe someone else who's seen one can respond.

About the only thing it'd guess it's really help in would be if in a search/rescue issue it might be seen better with Night Vis goggles by a Helicopter crew. (just my opinion...)

(of course a rescue copter would see one of those big ass lights that doubles as a fish fryer a whole lot better also :thumb:)

I think they require them in COZ.. You cant have normal gear so you might as well have those. :thumb:

+1

-1 for the unnecessary trash they create. I use a Princeton Tec "Eco Flare" tank marker light on liveaboards that require them. At $6.99 including batteries I've been using it for three years and it's cheaper than the dozens of glow sticks I'd have used in the same time period.

Yeah, I have one of those, piece of crap flooded after about 20 dives. Maybe I'm too rough on things.

In some locations there are worms or small shrimp that can be attracted to lights. I have run into them in both Cozumel and Roatan. Fun feeding the coral. I go without when I have a choice or use a battery operated light if required. Then I can reach back and turn the damn thing off once I get in the water.

Back
Top Bottom