Glueing pockets on a drysuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert Phillips

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have experience glueing pockets on a trilam drysuit? I'm getting a TLS350Se and I was planning on putting the pockets on myself, but some one told me that they need to be sewn on to fabric suits. What's up, should I glue the pockets onto some neoprene and then glue them to the suit or can they be glued directly to the fabric?
Thanks,
Robb

Snowbear:
I glued one on mine - so far so good, but it's only been about 50 or 60 dives since I did it.
Used the OS glue.
I think Bob cubed (aka Bob3 :D) will know more about how long it will last.
Thanks for the quick response! I figured it would be no problem, just wanted to hear from anyone who did it the same.

Followed the instructions on Halcyon's site for four different suits, 7 pockets. McNett's Seal Cement works fine.

I used the same method to change neck seals several times.

One thing that I do to make the job look better is after marking the location of the pocket with chalk, I outline the square with masking tape about 1/8" outside the mark. This keeps the inevitable glue slops from making your new suit look like an old beat up suit.

RichLockyer:
Followed the instructions on Halcyon's site for four different suits, 7 pockets. McNett's Seal Cement works fine.

I used the same method to change neck seals several times.

One thing that I do to make the job look better is after marking the location of the pocket with chalk, I outline the square with masking tape about 1/8" outside the mark. This keeps the inevitable glue slops from making your new suit look like an old beat up suit.
Great idea, thanks Rich!
Robb

While my pockets are not about to fall off, I had them added after purchase. They were glued to my TLS 350 by someone well known for doing quality work in Florida (also did a good job on changing my seals and zipper). However, the edges are starting to come off to some degree. I guess I will have to do some extra gluing occasionally.

If I were to buy another suit again, I would just let DUI take care of everything, sewing and waterproofing, so that I would not have to think about doing that myself.

robertphillips5:
Great idea, thanks Rich!
Robb
Just make DURN sure that the pocket is lined up right. I always catch a LITTLE of the tape under the edge, but it sticks down after I peel it off (and it's never more than a 16th or so).
You could try lining the pocket up over two pieces of overlapping waxed paper. When it's where you want it, slip one piece out while holding pressure on the other, then pull out the second piece.
I haven't tried that yet... it was suggested by an old cabinetmaker and very well known DIY diver named Dave. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom