Going from BP-wing to Jacket BCD ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone -

Curious! scubaboard has always been a very pro-BP wing place. You really can not talk about BCDs without the BP wing recommendation popping up. I am a BP wing user myself but the anti jacket pro wing sentiment on here sometimes amazes me because it really does not represent the statistics I see on dive boats.

I am just curious how many people here have gone from BP wing to jacket or back inflate bcds.

:popcorn:

Anyone?

I look at BCD's or BP/W or any other piece of equipment as tools. I try to use the best tool for the dive I'm going to do. Typically I use a hybrid BC for pool work (a little easier to keep more stable on the surface when I need it), a back inflate BC for recreational OW diving (light weight, travels well) & a BP/W for technical diving (heavy SS back plate for additional weight for old water diving). Each serves the purpose I use it for well & I am happy with the arangement.

I use a BPW for all OW dives except a few single tanks where I'll use the Zeagle Express tech I have. I sold my jacket bc. When I do use one it is one of the shop's for pool. But I will be in jacket, BPW, and BI(the Zeagle) during class to allow students to see each one. I can't see myself going back to a jacket for OW dives.

nope. everyone who has made a switch in that direction sank to the bottom of the ocean! :missing:

I switch around a bunch between BP/w and regular BC. If I am not using a stage bottle, then I prefer a jacket BC which has been slightly modified to replace the cummerbund with a simple belt.

Last year I went from a Sherwood Avid to a BP&W configuration. I like the open harness feel of my new rig and the freedom to place rings etc. just where I want them.

I don't feel my diving or trim has been improved one iota by the new rig, nor did I have much expectation of that. Being 100% back lift I do ride lower in the water making surface snorkel swims a bit more laborious. I have it configured so it behaves well when vertical at the surface (no face plant) but my head is not as high as with the Avid. (no big deal)

Overall having experience with both I stand by my original statement that the BC style does not make the diver. Fit on the other hand is critical. If you're more comfortable in a jacket so be it. Don't be swayed by the SB BP&W cult.

Pete

Last edited:
Folks going back to a jacket BCD are very much the exception rather than the rule I have witnessed. When I lost a bolt & wing nut recently and utilized my old DR Transpac it drove me nuts with unstability as compared with a BP/wing. That's not taking anything away from the Transpac. If I was not diving with a BP/wing than it would be my next best selection...

The few who don't adapt probaly never became proficent with the adjustment process. If the rig doesn't fit correctly it is very uncomfortable to dive with...

I switch around a bunch between BP/w and regular BC. If I am not using a stage bottle, then I prefer a jacket BC which has been slightly modified to replace the cummerbund with a simple belt.

What is it about the jacket BCD that you prefer in that case?

My original jacket BCD is still hanging in my scuba closet but I have a hard time trying to figure out what conditions I would opt for it over one of my BP rigs. I do have a number of BP rigs to cover situations where I need to make adjustments to the weight of my BP. I'm sure if the choice were to pack a 12 lb plate or a jacket BCD for a trip to warm water diving, I'd chose the jacket; but that is not a choice I'd have to make.

Back
Top Bottom