Going it alone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds:
I figured this would be the most sensible thing to do since the places I like to snorkel don't allow overnight parking and they'd probably tow my car if I drowned and it was left there.

Uhhh...if you drown, having your car towed is the least of your worries. :colgate:

You may need to cultivate some skin-divers. The way divers are trained these days skin-diving is largely ignored. They see that you can do the basics and then it's into the gear. Most divers don't ever experience the simple serentiy of a 2 hour leisurley skin-dive. Not to mention it's terrific skill builder for scuba diving.

Next time you're setting something up with your dive buddies and perhaps the tide will be a while getting up to where you want it to be suggest starting the day with a skin-dive. We did that with some friends a few weeks ago. A 75 minute skin-dive, picnic lunch and a 2 tank afternoon of shore diving all from the same location. It made for a wonderful day. It was cool to see them add another dimension to their enjoyment of the UW world.

Pete

:rolleyes: By the comment about getting my car towed I meant that if I put a conspicuous sign on the dash indicating what I was doing (skindiving alone) in the case that I did drown at least somebody would know where to look for me. My car isn't registered in the state where I am currently living since I'm a student and so if they ran the registration they'd just think the car was abandoned or stolen. Eventually somebody might notice I wasn't around and file a missing persons report which might or might not be associated with my car being towed. My coworkers and aquaintances don't even know that I dive as a hobby. I thought that by putting a placard on the dash or in the rear window they would at least come looking for me or what was left of me in a more timely fashion. Anyway that said I am still looking for dive buddies and snorkel partners but I do rather enjoy snorkelling alone and just floating quietly and looking at small things, which some may classify as "boring". I didn't make this thread to whine about lack of friends or dive buddies, I started it because I choose to live very independently with a VERY private private life and I'd like to continue to do that while safely enjoying skin diving. I really appreciate all the suggestions so far.

Hi,
I would suggest making a dive flag, and buying a dive knife. I only freedive but I'm planning on buying a dive knife and attaching it to my weightbelt just in case of entanglement.

Nikkey:
Hi,
I would suggest making a dive flag, and buying a dive knife. I only freedive but I'm planning on buying a dive knife and attaching it to my weightbelt just in case of entanglement.

Good point. Until I took yp scuba I did not own a dive knife and then it went on the BC. I changed to stapping it to my calf about a month ago so it would be with me on skin-dives. My biggest concern when skin-diving is geting fouled in small line so at least with the knife I have something. When I'm solo my dives down are much more conservative.

Pete

I know what you mean about snorkeling and free diving alone. I live on the water in Hawaii and go snorkeling almost every night. I, too, live alone so no one knows when I go out or if and when I come in. So, I get what you are asking. Because I go so frequently (after work) it isn't easy to find someone to go with. I REALLY want to go night snorkeling but I will insist on a buddy for that and no one wants to do that with me.

Anyway, you can get out of a rip current and get back in. Read up on that. But entanglement can be a problem. I prefer the shears to a knife, though. But I admit I have never thought to take them while snorkeling. Mostly I have a small concern about shallow water black out if I dive and stay down longer than my usual time.

Snorkeling is a very enjoyable activity for me. I've seen some very cool things.

sea nmf:
I REALLY want to go night snorkeling but I will insist on a buddy for that and no one wants to do that with me.
Just went out with my wife the other night, 3/4 moon, mild evening it was great. Whole different cast of critters. Find a buddy and do it for sure.

sea nmf:
I prefer the shears to a knife, though.
You might have something there.

Pete

Gidds, I'd never be one to call "floating around and looking at things", boring. Very relaxing, yes. Boring, far from it. Skindiving to me IS pure diving.
You don't really need an "official" diving knife per se'. The shears idea is a good one, but if you think about it, since you have no air supply with you while you're tangled, you want something NOW.
I'd personally stick with a sharp knife. To me, "wild slashing" of a knife would be more efficient than trying to get my big fingers into a pair of shears, then trying to locate where to start snipping; especially if my lungs are screaming for air. I like a fairly long, very sharp blade, such as a fillet knife. A fillet knife purchased from a sporting goods store usually comes with a scabbord that you can attach to your weight belt. Or you can strap it to your leg.

Another thing you should be aware of is a phenomenon called Shallow Water Blackout, or SWB, (google it). That's when you've been at depth for a couple minutes, then on your way back up, you don't feel like you've been down that long, but expansion of your lungs draws what little O2 you had left, right out of your brain, causing you to immediately black out and drown. Usually happens at about the last two or three feet of your ascent when rapid decompression occurs. You shouldn't have to worry about that too much, unless you're out there trying to see just how long you can stay down. Just don't push yourself that far unless you have buddies watching you that are totally aware of what you're doing, and know what to look for. When alone, please follow Spectrums advice and keep your dives conservative. (We's really miss ya.)

I stay in about 4' of water max when I'm alone and rarely do I leave the surface so no SWB for me. I think I'll get a knife that can go on my belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom