Going it alone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is cool :D Thanks. I love The Big Blue but my personal record is somewhere around 30' and that was a long time ago :blush:

Thirty feet is GREAT! Well beyond many many people's abilities. Not sure if you're aware of it, but you're doing better/more than 90% of all snorkelers. I've been on snorkeling trips in Mexico a few times, and noticed that I'd be the ONLY one on the boat that actually freedived. Everyone else just snorkeled on the surface. Nothing wrong with that, but OTOH it's cool when we're all back on the boat and everyone starts asking me questions. "How deep can you go?" "How long"? etc.
I tried it in once in Florida, but they insisted I wear a vest and to not dive down.
OTOH, I'm not all that great when I compare myself to guys that live on a coast and get to do it all the time. Heck, I've only been to forty max, and that's by jumping in while holding on to a cinder block so I didn't have to kick my way down. And I was only good for one minute, thirty seconds. But if I dive into a pool and hold myself down by holding on to the drain grate, I'm good for two minutes and eighteen seconds before I start seeing spots (just did it last week).
I envy those dudes that go down fifty feet and spear a tuna. That's gotta be a blast.

30' was a LONG time ago when I had a regular snorkel partner and was in freshwater. Now I doubt I'm good for more than 15' and I'd be doing well to hit that. Not sure how long I can hold my breathe but I doubt it is very good at the moment. I'm tempted to try spearing because I'm not smart enough to catch a striper with a rod and line :wink:

Oh c'mon. I know you can do better than these guys:

That striper isn't legal in ME (where they caught it) and I doubt it passes muster here in RI. I am hopeless, I can't even catch a mackeral :blush: I really like mackeral too but not as much as I like stripers :wink:

Yeah that's pretty small as stripers go. I don't have any stripers near me. All I have here is their smaller relatives called White Bass. There's supposed to be some hybrids in the river, but I've never caught any.

Mostly just these:

Dude, you look like Frasier....do you ever go "where everyone knows your name?"
Just kidding, nice catfish though,
Cheers, (couldn't resist)
C-Dawg
Sorry about the hi-jack Gidds....now back to our regular programming

Don't worry, I hijacked my own thread from snorkelling alone to free diving and fishing :wink:

"Frasier"... :D
I've heard that a few times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom