Going to be needing some new friends . . . soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What am I listenin' to on this thread y'all??? What is this?

This sounds like a language lesson to a foreignar. Please tell me this ain't so.

Anywho, my two cents:
ya'll should probably be spelled as y'all. but then again, I get chastised by my texas brethren about this. y'all is a short form of english of "you all". I know the texans will argue with me on this; but that's what it is. it is a short form of you all, y'all.

'fixin' is a whole other word. I am not going to pretend to be able to explain its' usage. Don't get me wrong. I am a southern boy through and through. I understand the usage of the word fixin'. I just understand it so inately that, now that I think about it, I am not sure that I can explain the usage of the word. I simply understand the word. In general however, fixin' can be interpreted as "I am about to", about to, almost, preparing to, etc.

Hope this helps. Hope I don't get flamed too much by my texas brethren.

Also, we'll be in corporate housing for the 1st 2 mos. but will need to be looking for a good area to live. We were in the area last week and looked in Plano and Frisco, but didn't like the "cookie cutter" housing. We would be looking for something like the Oak Cliff area style of housing (but without the long commute to Plano for the mrs.) or Highland Park area (but without that price tag). If anyone has ideas, could ya PM me, 'cause we just don't know that much about the area. Also, not sure if we're going to rent 1st or buy 1st.

Thanks

I'd like to offer a couple of observations:

1. I moved from Massachusetts to Texas when I was seven (I just turned six decades last month). It only took me until I was 19 to throw the stigma (and apparently the accent). Don't worry, we're a lot more cosmopolitan these days, even the horse troughs outside the saloons are concrete instead of wood.

2. Look north of Plano (I lived there for a period of time between the late 70's through the mid 90's) to McKinney for period housing. McKinney has a rather extensive historic housing district, and a great renovated downtown area. McKinney was the county seat of Collin County (that's where Plano, Frisco, Allen, and a couple of smaller cities are located), and as the historic county seat, up until Plano exploded in the late 60's, was the population center, thus the inventory of larger, older homes.

3. Finally, Howdy!

:crafty:

An excellent website by a fellow swamper

TEXAS DIVE SITES.com

What am I listenin' to on this thread y'all??? What is this?

This sounds like a language lesson to a foreignar. Please tell me this ain't so.

Anywho, my two cents:
ya'll should probably be spelled as y'all. but then again, I get chastised by my texas brethren about this. y'all is a short form of english of "you all". I know the texans will argue with me on this; but that's what it is. it is a short form of you all, y'all.

'fixin' is a whole other word. I am not going to pretend to be able to explain its' usage. Don't get me wrong. I am a southern boy through and through. I understand the usage of the word fixin'. I just understand it so inately that, now that I think about it, I am not sure that I can explain the usage of the word. I simply understand the word. In general however, fixin' can be interpreted as "I am about to", about to, almost, preparing to, etc.

Hope this helps. Hope I don't get flamed too much by my texas brethren.

"Fixin'" can be used thusly: I'm fixin' to go upside Richerso's head for tryin' to learn Texan to y'all furriners. :mooner:

"Fixin'" can be used thusly: I'm fixin' to go upside Richerso's head for tryin' to learn Texan to y'all furriners. :mooner:

Now thats some funny "yall know" :rofl3::rofl3:

Dont forget the plural of y'all as in 'all y'all' - very helpful when addressing groups :D

FYI - like most places, peoplpe live in the suburbs and commute in. In Dallas this means they live north and tend to commute south. So if you choose to live in town, heading north on 75 or the Tollway is the reverse commute and is pretty swift mornings. So dont be afraid to live in town. And if you pick a place just East of 75 you can use the Red Line to get to work and not have to drive at all :) I'm just sayin'...

I had dinner last night here in RI at a Texas Roadhouse. I was missing TX, so I settled for the best available option. When I tried to order a Shiner Bock, the waitress had never even heard of it. I thought there, of all places, I could get a Shiner. I had to settle for a 'Gansett (local beer.) I'm still angry about it. Freaking yankees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom