Going to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fillip1215

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm going to Thailand and would LOVE any advice on any and everything. Diving, travelling, eating, sleeping......

My biggest question is can I get in the country without showing a return ticket? ( I'm only staying for 2 months, but it's cheaper that way)

Thanks.

there has been a recent change in visa policy for visitors to thailand and as such airlines are a little more strict than they used to be.

Technically it shouldn't be a problem - but.......................

for good advice on visa's and thailand in general check out www.thaivisa.com/forum

Yes, the Thaivisa website is very informative.

Also for diving apart from the daytrip and local boat dives definitely consider a Liveaboard cuise either to The Simlan and Surin islands or down south of Phuket to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang (Red and Purple Rocks).

Otherwise Fillip if you find yourself in our area of Kata or Karon please fell welcome to pop in for a chat and a refreshment or even a dive.

fillip1215:
I'm going to Thailand and would LOVE any advice on any and everything. Diving, travelling, eating, sleeping......

My biggest question is can I get in the country without showing a return ticket? ( I'm only staying for 2 months, but it's cheaper that way)

Thanks.
Staying two months you need one visarun. After the "takeover" the Burmese border was closed for a while, if it's reopened, don't know.
Eating and sleaping: staying away from big tourist beaches and western style restaurants it's a LOT cheaper and the food is better too. In Phuket area maybe down town and Chalong. Chalong is a good choice if you take a lot of diving bcs most of the day and liveaboards start from Ao Chalong Pier.

I'm visiting Phuket now on a 3 month trip, so here's what I've found.

Eating: Don't stick with the resturants. The road side stands have the best Thai food on the island and the cheapest too. If you are a steak eater the best place I've found is Coffee Pots in Kata.

Entering without a return ticket: Should not be a problem. Since you'll be here for 2 months you'll most likely not have a 60 day visa already received from the Thai consulate back home, right? If that's the case, then plan on at least one Visa Run. The Burma boarder is now open so that'll probably the easiest place to go. Lot of Visa Run companies here. The one I've been using is Phuket Visa Run. Cost is 1600 baht including everything. Very professional, just a long bus ride.

Diving: Hook up with Ringo (on this board) and they can help you set up anything you need. Very nice folks. If you need a class their instructors are first rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom