First time heading to Indonesia - Where do you suggest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ski_Lounge

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking of to heading to Thailand & Indonesia next month, and spending Sept./Oct. there. I was in Koh Tao last year, loved how low-key and friendly it was. Strongly considering going back there. The diving was slightly less exciting, but sounds like the other coast of Thailand is still in monsoon season till Nov.

I also want to go to Indonesia, but have not been there before so curious what to expect. Where are your favorite places? I'm looking for a mix of simple reef diving and living the island life. Spending time in cafes by the beach is an appealing option. Not looking for a party scene, and preferably want to avoid crowded touristy places. Looking to spend 2 weeks in Thailand & 2 weeks in Indonesia. Would love to hear any itineraries folks have done and would recommend!

15th Oct is usually the official opening of the various Marine Parks on the West coast of the Kingdom(Thailand). Both Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe are nice and the diving is far more interesting than Koh Tao.
Padang Bai(Mola Mola season) and Gili Air in Bali.
Water will be cold in some sites around Padang Bai so be prepared.

@Ski_Lounge

Others have (and will continue) to suggest locations in and around Bali. My recommendation - get away from Bali to see the real Indonesia.

Raja Ampat weather starts turning decent in September, consider heading for Sorong as a jumping off point to the region.

Note that most "cafes by the beach" in Indonesia means being in a fairly populated area - do you really want to get away to experience untouched reefs or do you want to be around people?

I still think Bali (a week in Tulamben and a week on Lembongan) is a good idea, for what you're after. These are very assessable destinations with good food options.

Certainly, if you're willing to forgo the cafe's by the beach, I would probably choose Raja Ampat (reefs, sharks, biomass) or North Sulawesi if you like critters. Raja in particular is more remote (and expensive) but superior from a pure diving perspective, but I also have had amazing dives in Bali (you'll get mantas and probably Mola too in Sept)

I agree with Cetacean - very good points. To get a feel for local back-woods Indonesia and get good diving try Bira in the South east of Sulawesi. Lots to do and see in the area as well as the diving. The weather should be OK too.

Check out where they build the phinisi (big cargo boats) on the beach. We ate in local cafes at/ near the beach. The kids were curious about the colour of my hair - they couldn't believe it was really red.
This might be an interesting place to start your research

If you really want to grips with up to date Indonesia, try the city of Manado, noisy, dusty, modern, full-on Indonesian city. The dive operation Murex Manado is well-established, well respected and only a short Ojek ride from the centre. They do short live aboard trips round to Lembeh with its world wide famous muck-diving.

Semoga beruntung

Amed on Bali is beautiful, with amazing diving. Happy to help with info if you need anything specific.

Agree with above suggestion to leave Bali to see the "real" Indonesia. Not that there is anything wrong with Bali, it is unlike anywhere else, but it is very different from the rest of the country.

Indonesia is huge and would take years to see all of it. Pick a region or two and get to know them. In addition to Raja Ampat for the best diving, try Sulawesi and/or Flores. Lots of diverse cultures and landscapes in addition to diving.

Bali has some amazing diving in September.

I can suggest Amed, and Nusa Penida. Great chilled beautiful spots, that's not catered to drunken late partying, everything is closed by 11pm/midnight every night. Spectacular cliff views, and volcanoes in the background. A nice island vibe, and easy to get around on scooters/motorbikes.

And those places are big enough, that you can be away from crowds if there are any.

No to highjack since I have similar questions as the OP. According to the website by the Raja Ampat dive op Raja4divers, they are immune to the typical rainy season due to their location. They explain that diving is good there year round and most crowded Oct-May since all the liveaboards go near their region due to the conditions being so much better there compared to elsewhere in the area.

Do others here who have lots of Raja Ampat experience agree with their assessment? Looking to expand my horizons beyond Caribbean diving and need to know the best windows to go that coincide with my work schedule. Thx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom