gold coast city/brisbane gear advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh2934

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i'm going to visit gold coast city and aukland for a month, sept 5-oct 5 2010. i'm from canada. i've heard there a lots of jelly fish down there sometimes so i was thinking of getting a lighter weight wetsuit, 3mm maybe, and skin fins.
i was wondering;
-is this necessary?
-is 3mm appropriate?
-should i get a fin that can fit a boot?
-what are the water temps that time of year?
-is there a club in either city i could hook up with to find the good shore dives?
also, i've always wanted to dive with sharks. is it safe to do this down there? could they pop up anywhere? what kind are there in aukland and gold coast and what kind should i not even think about getting in with? i heard there are tigers, didn't find that in my research but i could be wrong.
anything else anybody would like to share about either place i'd love to hear it.
can't wait to get there!

Hi Josh,

Go up to Cairns - go on a four night liveaboard to Osprey Reef - the best shark action with large numbers of grey reef sharks and white tips plus maybe hammerheads.

Also, September and October should have excellent visiblility.

Personally, I prefer open heel fins with boots as they are more comfortable and will keep your feet warm.

Lots of questions! :) I'll try to answer some for you. Keep in mind, I'm in Brisbane, QLD, so my information is only pertinent to the Australian diving.

A 3mm shorty is what I use (and sometimes a 1mm full length underneath it too more for protection of stingers rather than insulating qualities.

I only use fins with a boot as some of the diving entry points can have sharp rocks/oysters etc and having protection is nice.

Water temps can vary, but around the low 20's (celsius) is around average.

Not sure about a dive club, but there are plenty of dive shops that do shore diving down the gold coast. Either the Seaway or the Tweed River are your two choices down the gold coast.

Diving with sharks, well it depends, you don't want to dive with Bull sharks! They can popup anywhere. If you really want to dive with sharks, one place is Flinders reef off the top of Moreton Island. To get to Moreton Island, you need to catch the barge at the port which is an hours drive from the Gold Coast.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

I'm looking to do some dives in NSW. I'm currently living in Sydney for 3 months and will be here until the end of May. Let me know if any of you are planning local trips or just want to come dive with me somewhere. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom