GoldCore or hyperstretch??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

45-65 I use my 7mm
66-74 I use my 5mm
75-up I use my 3mm

After a few days of diving in 75-79, I might switch to the 5mm.

Although I hear many folks say that the gold core is warmer than the Hyperstretch, I experienced differently. Could be a few factors that influentced that, though. I was able to buy a tighter suit in the hyperstretch, so it fits more snug, but still allows great mobility. The fabric inside is more pleasing to the touch, and not slick like the gold code. The gold core material seemed to feel cold against my skin.

I guess if one put a skin on under the gold core, you might experience the same effect, but the hyperstretch fits so snug it leaves no pockets.

I'm sold on these. My 5mm is a gold core, but I'm going to replace it with a hyperstretch next paycheck.

Oh, and the 6.5 mm hyperstretch hood is fantastic!!

Henderson, any chance of Hyperstretch gloves and boots in the future?

--Rick

From the research I have done (as I am buying a new suit myself) I have heard nothing but rave reviews on the warmth and comfort of the Hyperstretch although it tends to pill a little, it doesn't impact the performance.

The Gold Core on the other hand I have read conflicting reviews on the validity of it actually being warmer (some argue that less water circulates through it thus making it warmer) and not being as comfortable. This is just based on word of mouth and a couple consumer test report I read on the internet (sorry I didn't keep the links).

for the substantial price difference, I decided to go with the Hyperstretch. I'll let you know how I like it.

Just to turn your attention to the Henderson web site www.hendersonusa.com "Look for new:
- Hyperstretch Zipperless 5mm Boot & 5mm Glove coming in 2002 to a dealer near you!" .... yep your wish is their command ; )

I have done about 30 dives in my new henderson goldcore farmer john (7mm) two piece. Since I dive in San Diego, the average water temp is in the low 50's (bottom) and I am never cold! I can also take of the vest between dives and hang to dry so I will have a dry vest for the second dive. The only thing I can compare it to is a rental. It's twice as warm as any other suit I have ever tried! I did have to add a little more weight when I went from a once piece to a 7mm two piece (7lbs). I also own a pair of glauntant gloves (the long ones) and those are by far the warmest gloves I have ever had. Either way, you can't beat HENDERSON!

Back
Top Bottom